Grumpy old body whompin', take 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hank49

Contributor
Reaction score
Just had an unreal session at Sandy Beach here on Oahu. Stopped here on my way home from the Philippines. It was 1-3 feet, which is plenty of juice for Sandy's. Waves were dumping onto about 6 inches of water so you had to press and hang on the face in the tube until the wave blew its guts out and laid down some water to land on.
The cool thing was being the oldest, old gray headed fart out there. I was actually getting some respect and the young guys were giving me waves. I was so stoked, felt like a kid again and got barreled at in least 15 or so waves.

How's your bathing suit?

After repeatedly getting pummeled by waves on that beach, I notice that my bathing suit looked a bit weird. The hems of the bathing suit had completely filled with sand, kind of like on some big theater curtain where the bottom hem is weighted with lead pellets.

Even running it through a couple of wash cycles couldn't get the sand back out and I ended up just throwing it in the trash.

That beach is very strange in that even relatively calm ocean conditions have a really rough shorebreak there.

Just had an unreal session at Sandy Beach here on Oahu. Stopped here on my way home from the Philippines. It was 1-3 feet, which is plenty of juice for Sandy's. Waves were dumping onto about 6 inches of water so you had to press and hang on the face in the tube until the wave blew its guts out and laid down some water to land on.
The cool thing was being the oldest, old gray headed fart out there. I was actually getting some respect and the young guys were giving me waves. I was so stoked, felt like a kid again and got barreled at in least 15 or so waves.

Sweet! Did you take a boogie board? McDonald's tray? Duck feet? I miss Hawaii. I miss Charlie too... Hi Charlie!

Yep, sand is still falling out of my shorts. It gets in the seams and the velcro. ha. But it's worth every grain.
I had one fin. One of those new short little ones. It worked pretty well. I never got into body boarding though. But yesterday my old friend, my son and I went out board surfing at Rainbows, a break just past Kualoa point at the mouth of Ka'a'awa Valley. I was riding a 7'8" mini tank. There was a little north swell and 2-3 foot waves. I hadn't been on a board for 11 years but got some waves....by am paying the price today. Man, paddling a surfboard is a specialized group of muscles. pain.
Headed back to Sandy's again today with my future son in law and my son. Hope there is still a little south swell because the trade winds are really light.
Man I miss waves. Belize is alright but that's the one thing I really miss there. It hasn't changed at all....running down the beach like a kid at Christmas.....unreal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom