Guadeloupe or Martinique ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting in Martinique: Historical wrecks in St Pierre., Le Diamant in the soutwest.
Interesting in Guadeloupe: The Cousteau reserve on the west Coast. rather crowded but nice preservation and the Saintes South West of the main Island.

When it comes to the Islans I prefer The Guadeloupe , an Archipalgo.

Neither are known for good diving. Curious as to why these two are under consideration as a dive destination when there are so many superior destinations.

Neither are known for good diving. Curious as to why these two are under consideration as a dive destination when there are so many superior destinations.

Have you dived there?

While I agree that there are better places for diving in the word, I find Guadeloupe one of the best places for diving in the lesser Antilles. FYI, I logged 500 dives in this part of the world :)

Have you dived there?

While I agree that there are better places for diving in the word, I find Guadeloupe one of the best places for diving in the lesser Antilles. FYI, I logged 500 dives in this part of the world :)
can you decribe the type of dive ops available?

shore dives?
boat dives only?
night dives?
is a guide mandatory?
time limits on dives?
depth limits on dives?

a mini trip report describing one of your trips would be helpful. we are always looking for new dive destinations but have skipped a few due to the dive restrictions - we recently travelled to montego bay & nassau on corporate boondoogles and left our dive gear at home both times. once we were on site, we had no regrets.

@giffenk.

I have dived the lesser antilles quite a few times. My experience however is different since most of my dives were made as an independant with my wife and directly from our own sailboat. So my experience with dive opps is much more limited. Nevertheless, I have been invited by some of them.

I know only the lesser antilles and Florida - fort Lauderdale - area. The diving in the Lesser antilles is not my favorite place and Martinique and Guadeloupe are nice places for diving. Having said that, I would never travel there for a dive only vacation.

All the dive opps are speaking french. Most of them speek a reasonable english. Keep in mind however that the majority of divers will be frenchspeaking.
Beach dives are possible but all operators are organising dives from a boat. The size of these boats are small to medium. So no Huge boat with too many divers.
Night dives are possible
All operators are operating with french standards. This means that deep dives - more that 110 feet - and deco dives are possible for people that have the specification.
Most of them will not operate the way most PADI op do. Most of them will thus not make two relatively shallow dives f 45/50 minutes with a brief surface interval. It is very frequent to make 60 minutes dives.

The sites:

martinique, Saint Pierre.

Historical wrecks. The star the Roraima that sits at a depth od 55/60m. Other wrecks, most of them between 25 an 35m.
La perle and North west coast of the island: 20 to 40+ m.
South west coast: 20 to 40 + one wreck @ 35m and the Diamant Rock.

Guadeloupe:

Réserve Cousteau: Nice site, relativelly well preserved considering that it is diced a lot. Site very closed to beach, 15 minutes by boat. 2 wrecks and nice coral + Live. Depth 20 to 40+ meters. Hot springs underwater. A bit crowded.

Les SAintes: dream island south west of la Guadeloupe. Very calm and nice.
Other place: North of rivière Salée and Port Louis. Quite place, only 2 dive operators. Nice peaceful dives.

HAving said this, places that are worth a dive trip: St Croix ( USVI) and the BVI . To a lesser extend: SABA.

Forgot to say: Independant dives are allowed. This is NOT the case of some islands: Dominique, Sint Vincent and the Grenadines, to name a few.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom