Guys, we love your feedback. Help us to improve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Javieron

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all divers and forums lovers!

This is Javier, from Raja Ampat Biodeiversity Eco Resort. We have already started the high season 2016-2017.. Everything is ready to enjoy again this exciting time of the year. Again, fun and happiness will fill our resort in Raja Ampat.

For more than 3 years we have been facing this period of the year, and still we are so nervous than our first year. We do know this is a great time for divers to enjoy and we don’t want to disappoint them.

Now, as always, we love to improve our resort offering even better services year after year. This is the reason why we have decided to write this post. We are looking for your feedback, we know that some of you love Raja Ampat and are passionate for diving, therefore we would love to hear your feedback.

Would you help us answering next questions? Your answer and feedback we will help us to understand your wants and need, being able to improve our offer. Be mindful and bear in mind we are an eco resort with a strong focus on eco-friendliness and sustainability

• What are you main concerns and what do you look for in a resort and/or in a dive school to enjoy long stays diving?
  • What have you never meet in a resort and you have always wanted?
  • What do you value the most in a diving resort?
Thanks for you time guys. We hope to get great insights from you to learn more about your needs and wants.

Cheers
Javier

Hi Javier,

Nice chatting to you earlier in "Chat" as per the conversation, I have this moved to the Indonesia part of the forum where we think you will have a better response.

My response:

• What are you main concerns and what do you look for in a resort and/or in a dive school to enjoy long stays diving?
  • airport pickup with a well signposted polite person and a transfer in a safe vehicle driven by somebody who is not suicidal
  • clean accommodation, with ensuite toilet etc., fridge, drinking water, AC
  • clean kitchen - good healthy fresh food
  • spacious uncrowded boats (max 6 divers) with reliable engines - dumping more than 6 divers at a site is not what I am looking for
  • camera room with adaptors that will meet EU, UK, US standards,
  • power 24/7 - I don't want the power to go off when I am charging batteries
  • knowledgeable guides and helpful boat crew - people you know who can deal with any situation if the poo hits the fan
  • security
  • What have you never had in a resort and you have always wanted?
  • Lembeh Resort / Critters@Lembeh is the standard to achieve
  • What do you value the most in a diving resort? -
  • My own toilet and bathroom
  • good guides that know the dive sites and how to find stuff without damaging anything,
  • dive crew on the boat that know how to deal with equipment properly
  • comfortable bed
  • good healthy food
  • camera room
  • security
I am sure there are other points that I have forgotten but will remember later.

Guides that know the sites and can help me learn how to spot the local creatures

Flexibility that will allow solo diving

House reef

Don't need AC, don't need a fridge

Don't need power through the night, as long as there is power to the camera room to charge batteries 24 x 7

comfortable bed

quality food - with options for each meal - quality to me means fresh

A comfortable place to do the surface interval. Back to the resort or on the boat. Many, if not most, dive boats are really really uncomfortable to spend time on.

Much of what @Searcaigh said but you don't have to have AC in every room. Some people do go to eco resorts for eco reasons.

Camera room does not need AC but does need good air circulation with fans.

Do not have shrimp on your menu if you are an eco resort. It is one the the most destructive practices in the ocean and farming is not much better.

Nice choices for Vegetarian eaters, not just relegation to the salad bar. Good snacks for everyone in the afternoon.

Javier:
A lot of good ideas above.
Here are a few things I have come to enjoy/expect from a good resort/dive op, aside from many of the ides listed already:

-Good maintenance of gear/valves/tanks/compressor (one island I was diving from had their compressor breaking daily - and a diesel mechanic fixing it, I'm surprised any of us survived that tip) -show compressor inspections/air analyses

-gear shop (ability to repair/maintain and fix gear)

-guides know local animals/plants a can talk/teach about them, not just name them

-good food/snacks on boat, iced cooler on boat, different drinks, not just beer

-food and snacks available when kitchen is closed

-non-alcoholic drinks available (mocktails) - not just water, juice and soda

-various activities available topside for non-divers or SI/rest time

-organized dives/boats/DM/guides/captains/gear - don't get peoples gear mixed up on different boats, wrong gas, and have extra tanks, etc

-on boats, have functioning gear (radios, engines/motors, flares, life jackets, first aid kits, O2, etc) and a team that knows how to use them

-its nice to have a john/head on a boat for longer excursions

-reference library at the resort with local animals/plants ID books an other dive books

-Either at resort or on boat - I love mini dive lectures/discussions on various topics: physiology, science, animals, safe dive practice, etc.

-support well-qualified solo diving (have smaller tanks for side mount/pony or twin sets, etc) and supportive policies

-DIN and yoke valves (or well-maintained provalves)

-Shore diving

-ability to take tanks out at all times of day/night

-Instructional courses - advanced topics/tech (SDI, TDI, whatever - not just PADI)

I would like a resort at which the guides adhere to a code of not harassing the marine life. No touching! No poking! If the mimic octopus is buried in the sand, leave it alone.

As above. CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN, and I don't mean just sweeping the sidewalks.

- Bill
May I add that I do have reservations about diving in certain areas in Indo where there is SO MUCH garbage & trash. N. Sulawesi is particularly bad, but Bali has a problem as well. RA not so much.

I know it's a worldwide problem, and not the fault of dive operators...but OTOH how else is this going to be addressed? What other entity has resources (at least some), is aware of the problem, and could (maybe) marshall some support from a community -- maybe even a worldwide community?

In any event, the trash situation does make us hesitate to return to N. Sulawesi.

- Bill & Emily

Back
Top Bottom