Question Halcyon Backplate (small size)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

soothsayer

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone, I found a good deal on a Halcyon BPW setup but saw the backplate is a small size. I’m 5’9 and weigh about 150 lbs. is the small size too small for me?

If it’s too small, can the backplate easily be swapped? Not sure if the wing is physically smaller too in order to match the small size of the backplate. I apologize if it’s a rather dumb question but this is my first BPW purchase!

Hi everyone, I found a good deal on a Halcyon BPW setup but saw the backplate is a small size. I’m 5’9 and weigh about 150 lbs. is the small size too small for me?

If it’s too small, can the backplate easily be swapped? Not sure if the wing is physically smaller too in order to match the small size of the backplate. I apologize if it’s a rather dumb question but this is my first BPW purchase!
I think it will be too small for you. I don't understand what you mean by swapped. It is a backplate and has the same holes for either a STA or a twinset. The wings are all standard.

I’m 5’ 6” and the standard one fits fine.

It depends on your torso length. The wings are all interchangeable it does not matter what plate it is. I have two female friends that are both around that height. One uses the small and one the normal

I am 5' 10 and 165 lbs. I started with a full size BP but now use a small BP. The short BP is MUCH MUCH more comfortable.

I am 5'3 and for me the standard one works fine for me (never tried the small one to be honest).

I’m 5’10” and find a regular backplate to be borderline too short. So yeah I would say save your money and just buy the correct gear. To give you and idea about who the size small plate are meant for my better half is 5’2” and has as size small plate from Subgravity and it fits her prefect, I would venture to guess the Halycyon one is about the same dimension.

A backplate will literally last you a life time and in the grand scheme of things its one of the lower cost items to buy for diving so just buy a correct fitting backplate. Looks on this site for used ones they come up fairly often. Or even check eBay (I once bid $50 on a SS dive rite plate and turned out winning it)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom