Closed: SOLD - Halcyon Pioneer 27 Wing w-Tagge 316 SST Backplate (#2)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdomen

Registered
Reaction score
Up for sale is a 316 Stainless Steel backplate with Halcyon Pioneer 27 wing and 2-piece Single Tank Adapter (STA). The backplate was made by Fred Tagge in 2002 and is about 15.5 inches long and made from 0.12-inch-thick stainless. The total weight of the backplate, wing, and STA, with all straps and buckles, is about 14-1/2 lbs. I believe the negative buoyancy of the plate should come in around 6 lbs. Included with the systems are the Halcyon ACB30 (Active Control Ballast) integrated quick-release weight pockets (one on each side).

DSC03767.JPG

DSC03737.JPG

DSC03777.JPG

Unlike most other backplates you'll find, this is made from 316 stainless, which is more corrosion resistant than 304 or other common grades of stainless steel. The two-inch webbing and 316-SST D-rings were also supplied by Fred Tagge. The harness was executed in DIR-style layout, with rubber inner-tube material protecting the webbing where it passes through slots in the plate. A shock-cord BCD retainer is included at the left shoulder position.

The STA is Fred's "lightweight" 2-piece style and worked well with 80-lb aluminum cylinders. Tank straps are by Scuba Pro.

An Akona dive knife and DIR-style pouch are included.

Please note that the Akona retractable gauge lanyard (blacked out in most of the photos) is NOT INCLUDED, as I need to keep that with the gauges and regulators, which I'm selling separately.

My son and I dove with these setups over about three years and maybe 60 dives. The last dive was in 2005 and the equipment has been in dry storage ever since. It appears to be in excellent condition, as it was not exposed to sunlight or moisture while in storage. Note that the backplate has a name and telephone number engraved in the recessed center on the front side (partially blacked out in the photo). This could be easily ground away using a Dremel tool. And the wing has initials marked with a white paint marker, partially blacked out in the photo. Also note that the yellow vinyl "plasti-dip" coating that was applied to the tips of the STA brackets is falling apart, and would need to be removed or re-applied. This was applied to protect the air tanks from getting scratched by the brackets, but isn't really needed if your tanks are wrapped in the plastic mesh.

Photos can be seen here:

Dropbox - BP & Wing #2

Most of our diving was in warm water off the Florida keys and southeastern coast, but some dives were made in cold New England lakes as well. I typically needed little additional weight beyond the backplate and the ten or 20 pounds that fit into the ACB pockets. This was diving with a 5mm full wetsuit and 7mm booties. Diving the same equipment in a cold lake, with the same 5mm full suit plus a 7mm/5mm shorty wetsuit over it, I typically wore 20 lbs of weight in addition to the backplate.

At that time I weighed about 160 lbs, height 5 ft 9 inches. This setup worked great for me.

Because of the size and weight, the UPS shipping cost will be significant (I am in New Hampshire). According to the UPS site it should be between $20 and $40, depending on the destination (within the continental US).

The cost for this equipment if purchased new would be over $600.
I am asking $250 plus shipping. Payment by PayPal or, if picked up in person in Kingston NH, cash.
Please contact me via PM if interested.

I need to update this posting as I am now living in, and shipping from, Tucson, Arizona. Shipping to California will be between $15 and $20, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom