Harbor Beach Aug 24-25

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divin'Papaw

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
In the spirit of a commitment many of us took in the spring of trying to post more trip reports, here's a trip report from this past weekend. Note: Those on this forum don't JUST dive quarries. Nothing at all wrong with quarries. I dive them plenty! But I'm sick of the stereotype that the GLWC forum is JUST for IL-IN-OH-MI quarry divers ... BS!!.

I enjoyed 2 excellent days of diving Lake Huron this past Fri-Sat with a couple of buddies diving out of Harbor Beach MI. Friday we did a deco dive on the Glenorchy and Sat we did one on the Dunderberg. We were diving with Rec n Tec (Gary Venet ... Rec and Tec Scuba Dive Charters - Lexington Michigan, Thumb area Preserve, Sanilac Preserve) on a tech trip organized by Rick Kurzel (Technical Scuba Diving Training for the Great Lakes). Once again Gary and his crew did a phenomenal job!

Glenorchy - Fri Aug 24

This was a 365' steel steamer that collided with the Leonard B. Miller in 1924. The wreck is short 20 min or so ride from Harbor Beach. The wreck lies in about 120 ffw, upside down. There's not a whole lot to see on the outside, but penetration into the engine room and hold is possible. We spent the first part of the dive exploring the engine room and then proceeded down the outside port side (right since it's upside down) down to about mid-ship before returned to the mooring line.

Bottom temps were in the mid-40s and visibility was probably in the 40-50' range. I was diving 25% back gas and 50% deco gas. Our bottom time was 30 min at a max depth of 118'. Total runtime was 61 min. Temps above 70' we very comfortable. Had to be in the 60s I'd guess.

Dunderberg - Sat Aug 25

For those that don't know already, this is a beautiful schooner build in 1867 and lost in 1868. She still has portion of two masts in place, both anchors, a windlass, and many of the rigging components. She is a beauty to behold, especially her famous carved bowsprit. We explored the bowsprit, anchor, dropped into the hold and explored the collision point on her starboard side, came back along the starboard side and dropped down the explore the collision point from the exterior, back to the bow mooring and it was time to begin the ascent. This truly is a beautiful wreck. I LOVE diving the old wooden ships!

Bottom temps were in the low-40s and visibility was also probably in the 40-50' range. I was again diving 25% back gas and 50% deco gas. Our bottom time was 25 min at a max depth of 150'. Total runtime was 65 min. Temps above 70' were once again very comfortable.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the spirit of a commitment many of us took in the spring of trying to post more trip reports, here's a trip report from this past weekend. Note: Those on this forum don't JUST dive quarries. Nothing at all wrong with quarries. I dive them plenty! But I'm sick of the stereotype that the GLWC forum is JUST for IL-IN-OH-MI quarry divers ... BS!!.

That was my bad... Did have some fun with that quarry thread though.. Thanks for the report, sounds like you had a blast.

Back
Top Bottom