"Harmonizing" differing instabuddy air consumption rates? Some thoughts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nolatom

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm a frequent flier insofar as instabuddies are concerned, and generally it's worked out well.

Recently I got buddied with someone who had a few dozen dives but hadn't been underwater in a couple of years. First dive was fairly shallow, poor vis, and as we compared air-remaining signals I sensed this would be a short dive, and it was. I led him slowly around the edge barge so as to be sure we stayed together and could find the tie-in line before he got too low. I finished with half my tank unused, not a great loss as it was a so-so dive at best, but it didn't bode well for the future.

Second dive was going to be deeper and better, and the captain was trying to find us better vis, which he did (reverse profile was due to uncertainty about weather, if you're wondering). So I tried to think about how we could do better on this one. He had probably been a little anxious, how to relax me, but really how to relax him, too? Was anything wrong with how I led the dive?

Then the idea came--maybe the problem wasn't how I led him, it was that I thought I had to lead him at all? What about if he led the second dive? Then he could set his own pace and it might be calmer for him. I could tag close, divert briefly for something of interest while he was the "steady Eddie", and run a little deeper than him. He agreed. It was a bridge rubble dive and some guide lines had been set, so it would be easy for him to stay on course out and back. And the vis was good enough that we could see each other while he went straight and I zig-zagged a little, both sideways and downward.

Well, it worked out pretty nicely. Instead of him using air almost twice as fast, we were within a couple hundred pounds of each other, and this time we both enjoyed the dive. He was more confident, and went fairly slow but now that was okay, no upline-finding anxiety, and I had the freedom to go under some rubble while he went over it, and so forth, being careful to keep him in sight and not stray too far. There may be some dive sites (no guide lines, current, topography, what have you) where this wouldn't work, but it did here.

Anyway, I may have learned something--my actions may have increased his burn rate, I needed to ease up so he could ease up too. Kind of karmic? Or the "golden rule" in action?

Observation number two: In my dotage I've finally gone to a few yoga classes, they seem to help with not only strength and flexibility, but with better air usage underwater.

I suspect none of these ideas are new at all, but "everything's old hat 'til it happens to you", yes?

While I'm not sure my first assumption would be my buddy is anxious, I do really like your idea re: letting him lead so you have a bit more freedom. Many of my insta-buddies are guys who often go through their air faster than I do. If there's a huge discrepancy, my buddy will often go a little bit higher than I am...but your way means we could do that & I could also have more control. This assumes my buddy goes slowly enough. I often get paired with underwater race car drivers for some reason. :wink:

Thanks!

Nice post. I found that some folks who have a nice easy kick swim faster than do a lot of other folks and do not realize they are pushing (pulling the other diver). If they are trying to go faster they eat air faster. It took me about 100 dives but I think I have finally learned how to go really slow and enjoy it. Carrying a camera and looking for little stuff (and big stuff) all the time helps.

Nice idea as it allows you to both achieve what you want from the dive.

Definitely agree with Steve_C about the going slower bit. Also how good a swimmer (outside Scuba) can make a big difference to air consumption - a well practised kick will be a lot more efficient that that of someone who can barely swim without fins.

I do one large slow kick. Glide. Large slow kick glide. Relaxing and you move along anyway.

Often with new / inexperienced divers (and those who are returning from an absence) they tend to fall into self criticism mode. this combined with a desire not to "ruin" your dive because of their "poor diving" leads to an elevated stress level which is hell on the SAC. Pair that with (usually) a fairly inefficient diving style and the disparity will add up fast. This is in addition to a much reduced chance of them thumbing the dive if something gets "hinky" and things can get interesting.

good call on letting them lead, anything that we can do to remind them that its all fun will help a lot. Unfortunately its more attention than most will pay to an "insta-buddy", so kudos!

Sometimes with a group of newish divers Ill carry an S40 stage to act as an extender, most of the time i think that knowing that its there takes the pressure off and I end up not using it. The mind is an amazing thing...

I have the opposite problem. I'm the guy who always calls the dive early. I'm a new diver and also 6'5" so go through my air very quickly. My solution was to buy a bigger tank. I now have steel 133's. Just went out on Sunday for a shake the bugs off dive, 35' for 100 minutes. Now looking forward to a deeper dive. A diving friend mentioned that it would be hard lugging around the 133's but by switching to the larger tank I was able to remove 7lbs of lead so if anything my BC felt lighter. I still plan on working on my breathing but at least there is no anxiety about calling the dive early.

Reactions: tep
Dive a lot and relax in the water. Only real way to reduce SAC. Of course fitness etc are important but realistically none of us rec divers are going to hit the gym five days a week for a better SAC

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom