Has Anyone Stayed In The Budget Cabins On Mermaid I Or Mermaid II?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ron_dodge

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My wife and I are looking at booking a trip to Raja Ampat next year. The MV Mermaid liveaboards look like run really nice trips. The reviews I've read regarding the Mermaid boats are generally positive except some people say to stay away from the budget cabins but not why to stay away from them.

So I was wondering if anyone has stayed in the budget cabins on one of those boats or know why they're bad options? Is it because they're bunk beds? Or is it because they're below deck? Just wondering if anyone could share their experience.

Thanks in advance.

Ron,

We have just returned from 16-days aboard Mermaid 1, traveling from Sorong to Maumere. This was our 3rd trip aboard Mermaid1 (Komodo, Raja Ampat). We keep returning because the staff is phenomenal and our experiences have all been positive.

Although we've never stayed in the budget cabins, we've never heard a complaint from those who were in them. They are below deck and are window-less with bunks. We've visited these cabins and never felt claustrophobic.

Here's a link to our trip video, with several shots of the boat and crew.

Any other questions about Mermaid, feel free to ask. We enthusiastically recommend this boat. The memories from our 3 Mermaid trips are the stuff of dreams.

Good luck with your planning,

Greg & Lani

Hi. I have done 8 trips with mermaid liveaboards and have done the budget cabin on both mermaid 1 and 2. On mermaid 1 the crew quarters are inside the kitchen area. The dive masters have the cabin just outside the budget cabin. On mermaid 2 the crew sleep behind a curtain at the bottom of the stairs. Both cabins on mermaid 1 and 2 are well laid out. I use the cabin for sleep and changing so i don't need a big cabin. On mermaid 1 there is a small table we convert to our camera table for the trip. I prefer mermaid 1 as there is less passengers and longer trips. Mermaid 1, the dining area, dive deck and upper outside deck have more space. Both crews and office staff are excellent so i keep returning to mermaid liveaboards.

We stayed in the Budget cabin on Mermaid 1. We had no issues, still had a small double on the bottom and a bunk at right angles on top. Not a lot of space but we just changed and slept in it. I always make a point of asking if there is a budget cabin, the food and the diving is just the same for usually a lot less money.

Sharon

I stayed at budget cabin on both Mermaid)))
They have bunk beds and they are downstairs. Yes, they are small and no window. But all time I stayed on party deck with my friends and only sleep in the cabin. So nothing terrible in them IMHO.
One time, when the boat was not full, I was upgraded for delux for free)))))

I stayed in the budget cabins on Mermaid I and would never do so again -- but that's me, not you.

They have no windows, the air flow is from the aircon which takes a while to cool off the room. The beds are bunk beds, single beds, one requires climbing up and down a ladder to go to the toilet. At night. In the dark. Fun for you? Not for me.

After a dive, if you want to rest in your room, you have to go down a flight of stairs (ladder) and it will be in an enclosed space (you must close the door while you're in there). Instead, I shared the outside space with whomever. I rarely went back to the room to, say, change for meals. I was probably more wet than they wanted in the restaurant.

The regular rooms have BEDS (not bunks) and a door that opens to the deck for air and light. And no ladder to climb for bathroom (which also is larger) and to get to the room.

But I'm sure it will work for some.

The staff is SUPER! and we're going back -- in the regular rooms.

- Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom