Have any of you guys ever shot a real gun underwater, or as shark repellent?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the sharkman once bubbled...
...You also should replace the spring clips which are attached to the firing pin assembly. This piece should be replaced with the ones which are grooved for water. These are available only to Navy Seals (so I am told), but you can easily groove your own. Basically, I would not try it without switching/ grooving the spring clips....

Anyone now can get the special firing spring clips from any Glock parts supplier. Try "Top Glock". They cost $9 I think. My son bought some and I told him he better not use them. That they do is insure that the firing pin is not slowed down by the water. They do nothing to relieve pressure relative to the discharge.

Firing a Glock or any firearm underwater is foolish. Prior to politcal correctness I would say it was STUPID.

Dave D

DPV jacking and fin bi's...crime rate on the rise. I'm packing the next time out...

tnk120184:
Seem's to me if there really was a need for self-protection from predators while sport diving, something would have been made availiable years ago.

They did. They're called "bangsticks" and "powerheads". I carry a powerhead chambered in 30-06 mounted under the barrel of my speargun. Hopefully won't need it, but I do personally know divers who have been molested by sharks to the point where they used powerheads on them. And these are guys who do not want to use their powerheads, they do so reluctantly.

Carrying a pistol such as a Glcok would certainly be more convenient than a bangstick, but a bangstick is designed to be used down there while a Glock isn't.

the sharkman:
These are available only to Navy Seals (so I am told), but you can easily groove your own.

I don't know why SEALs would be interested in Glock parts, since they don't carry Glocks. I have no first hand knowledge, but reliable sources indicate that serious people who need to use firearms underwater prefer revolvers anyway. If you want to have some real fun, ask this question over at Glocktalk.

I watched a shark program in which an abalone diver off the California coast was filmed.
Part of his dive preparation involved loading his specially prepared Glock.

If I recall correctly he had a holster built in to, or strapped on to the outside of his right thigh.

He claimed that the gun fires underwater and is quite effective at shorter distances.

He appeared to have all of his fingers. :D

dmdalton:
The shock/pressure waves in water can really damage internal organs (ever heard of lithotripsy?). Shooting a pistol underwater can lead to property damage, serious bodily injury or even death.

NOTE: Glock, Inc., specifically disclaims any and all liability from anyone performing or attempting to perform underwater firing with a Glock pistol -- you do so at your own risk.

Dave D.

I don't know what lithotripsy is, but I was warned that firing a gun underwater anywhere near you could result in severe diarhea for several days. I don't think that would bother the shark at all.

Darn- I just noticed that this thread is 2.5 years old.

Years ago I banged an abandon wood piling (my dive buddy wouldn’t volunteer) underwater with a 12 gauge bang stick. It hurt my ears a lot (even with a heavy cold water hood) and the kick of the stick shot it out of my hand even holding on tight. It may have been a more pleasant experience against a shark (softer than a piling).

For years I had a .44 mag tip for a Hawaiian sling (or spear) but never used it. Yes they do make water proof ammo.

Heffey:
I watched a shark program in which an abalone diver off the California coast was filmed.
Part of his dive preparation involved loading his specially prepared Glock.

If I recall correctly he had a holster built in to, or strapped on to the outside of his right thigh.

He claimed that the gun fires underwater and is quite effective at shorter distances.

He appeared to have all of his fingers. :D

Hmm... and the rock that keeps tigers away.

Ab diving is a bit more high risk than diving since you are pretty much doing a great impression of a less than adequate seal, but off this coast, we're worried about whites if anything, and if they tag an ab diver, that diver isn't going to see it in time to shoot it.

Jackknife:
I heard that you can shoot the glock pistol underwater and that it can be used as protection against predators. What do you guys think about that? Bang Sticks are illegal in many states from what I understand.

I wonder what effects it would have underwater, and how far a bullet like a .45 or 9mm will travel underwater and still be effective enough to penetrate the skin of a big animal like a 12'+ shark? If it gets close shoot it right in the head or multiple shots in the gills or other areas.

Would it actually be dangerous to shoot underwater or is it more of a noice maker?
If you fired at a tank underwater would it explode?

Sorry.

(yes, I know it's an old thread.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom