• A little bit but Imodium cured me

Votes: 18 20.7%
  • A lot but I could still dive

Votes: 11 12.6%
  • Ruined my vacation

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ggunn:
One point - be careful with that Immodium. If what you've got is digestive system irritation due to overindulgence, then yes, Immodium is the ticket. If what you have, however, is an invasion by microfauna, then (so I am told) Immodium can actually make you sicker in the long run by suppressing your body's very understandable impulse to flush your system in an effort to expel the invaders. I would first attempt to treat the condition with less drastic measures such as Pepto for a day or so before resorting to Immodium.
While, Immodium is only for symptomatic relief and won't cure you, it will "firm you up". This will not cause any additional retention of the bugs...

So, Immodium is *not* contra-indicated in this case. In fact, it is recommended for "traveler's diarrhoea". That said, it is contra-indicated for dysentary - but if that's what you've got, your diving is over for that trip anyhow...

gj62:
While, Immodium is only for symptomatic relief and won't cure you, it will "firm you up". This will not cause any additional retention of the bugs...

Well, IANAD, but that's not what my doc told me. Furthermore, when I have taken it, it didn't "firm me up", it "shut me off". Once, it was for two days, and I felt terrible for a week. It could have been dysentery, I guess; I got on some pretty powerful antibiotics that my sister-the-nurse got from the Chedraui farmacia, and it cleared up just in time for my return flight. :-(

It's the only time (knock wood) that I have ever been significantly sick on Cozumel in my many trips there, and I certainly hope it was the last!

ggunn:
...when I have taken it, it didn't "firm me up", it "shut me off".
Constipation is a potential side effect, but it is not normal. You may have a susceptibility to this and are quite right to not take it any longer. This doesn't mean others should avoid it. PB has it's side effects too.

Here's a link if you are interested (pretty readable for most folks) http://www.cdc.gov/travel/diarrhea.htm

BTW - Immodium = loperamide...

gj62:

So, Immodium is *not* contra-indicated in this case. In fact, it is recommended for "traveler's diarrhoea". That said, it is contra-indicated for dysentary - but if that's what you've got, your diving is over for that trip anyhow...
This is definitely not medical advice, but I have been told by our famiy friend physician NOT to do the immoduim thing. He has a clinic in Belize and spends more than half of the year south of the border, so we go with his recommendations. Haven't had any problems. :)

AmyJ:
This is definitely not medical advice, but I have been told by our famiy friend physician NOT to do the immoduim thing.
What do they recommend?

We had a group of over 70 people go down to Coz in January this year. I don't think I recall even one case of anyone getting sick.

For me the question is:

Is it possible NOT to get sick in Mexico (or anywhere else)?

I have just crawled out of the depths of the Mexican Jumping Flu or Montezuma's Other Revenge or Send in the Firing Squad Now and Get It Over With. And THIS time I thought I had made it safely past any critter's incubation period.

And this was from Cozumel which I heard is pretty safe. Didn't drink tap water or brush teeth in it, did allow ice in restaurants where they assured it was purificado, didn't eat from street vendors, didn't drink out of too many brown puddles in the road, and as always my buddy didn't get it.

Two years ago it was salmonella in Costa Rica, before that Creeping Death from Mazatlan, and from Honduras something Satan himself sent forth from the 9 1/2th circle of Hell.

Luckily it always hits after I'm back home. Sort of like a second vacation.

coppermaus:
For me the question is:

Is it possible NOT to get sick in Mexico (or anywhere else)?

I have just crawled out of the depths of the Mexican Jumping Flu or Montezuma's Other Revenge or Send in the Firing Squad Now and Get It Over With. And THIS time I thought I had made it safely past any critter's incubation period.

And this was from Cozumel which I heard is pretty safe. Didn't drink tap water or brush teeth in it, did allow ice in restaurants where they assured it was purificado, didn't eat from street vendors, didn't drink out of too many brown puddles in the road, and as always my buddy didn't get it.

Two years ago it was salmonella in Costa Rica, before that Creeping Death from Mazatlan, and from Honduras something Satan himself sent forth from the 9 1/2th circle of Hell.

Luckily it always hits after I'm back home. Sort of like a second vacation.

I sympathize greatly Copp but I get sick in the US, too. I've felt like I was going to die from bugs I picked up working on customers cell phones. (Put their phone to my ear and mouth for a test, and get everything that comes thru town.)

Number one threat from international trips is still not wearing seat belts!

don

DandyDon:

Number one threat from international trips is still not wearing seat belts!
don
I disagree with you on that one, Don. It's a layover at either Dulles or JFK in the winter. CDC should set up a tent there just to collect odd germ samples :54:

I got the full wrath of Montezuma at the end of my week there. It was so very bad, it was almost scary. Fortunately, it hit me on the last day of diving, which I didn't miss, but it wasn't easy. that night at the restaurant, I spent more time in the baño than I did at the table. It SUCKED! Would not wish that on anyone. Bleh. But it was worth it to be in Coz.
Maybe I am just a delicate flower. I got sick every time I traveled to Central America or Mexico, but it got less and less severe. Now I don't get it at all. Your mileage may vary.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom