Hawaii compared to the Cayman Islands or Nassau ,Bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ppina

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All

I have chance to visit Hawaii next year.

I wonder how to dive in Hawaii compared to the Cayman Islands, Nassau or Manado indonesia.

I have not seen a movie that convince me dive in hawai compared to those locations already visited.

What are the best time to dive in Hawaii and the best island

I think it's like comparing a rain forest to the desert...Hawaii being the desert. There's a LOT of cool endemic life in Hawaii that you literally cannot see anywhere else in the world, but it typically isn't obvious and often requires a knowledgable guide to see. And of course, as with all diving, it may require some luck as well.

We've done well over 300 dives in and around Maui and still regularly get surprised by "firsts," seeing things we've never seen before. I think Hawaii diving is great, it's just different than other parts of the world, which is why I recommend strongly that a good guide is essential for folks unfamiliar with the marine life.

As far as what time of year, I would say go during whale season, ideally in February. If you aren't lucky enough to have an underwater encounter with a Humpback, the surface intervals provide great viewing.

As to which island, it depends on what you want to see/do. Oahu is known for its wrecks, Maui is known for being able to dive 4 islands (Molokini, Lanai, Molokai, and Maui) with Molokini crater having a 300' shear wall to dive, and the Big Island is known for the Manta Night dive. Maui and the Big Island have really good shore diving as well.

If you're interested in topside activities, that starts an entirely different conversation.

Where in Hawaii?

I have only done one dive trip to Hawaii, a liveaboard out of Kona diving around the Big Island but I liked it a lot. I have never dived in Indonesia but I have dived around the Caymans and Nassau several times. I would call Hawaii diving different but not better or worse.

We were in Hawaii in April and the water was a little colder than I like, although it can be darn cold around Nassau in the spring.

You don't get all the soft corals and sponges like you see in the Caribbean, but lots of healthy hard corals and sea life, including lots of turtles and many Octopus even during day time. And you will see critters and beautiful tropical fish that you don't get to see in the Caribbean, like the Moorish Idol and the Picasso Triggerfish.

Night diving with Mantas near Kona ranks among my top diving experiences and we also watched pilot whales from the boat. I would happily go back to Hawaii to dive, it's great IMO.

Where in Hawaii?

I have only done one dive trip to Hawaii, a liveaboard out of Kona diving around the Big Island but I liked it a lot. I have never dived in Indonesia but I have dived around the Caymans and Nassau several times. I would call Hawaii diving different but not better or worse.

We were in Hawaii in April and the water was a little colder than I like, although it can be darn cold around Nassau in the spring.

You don't get all the soft corals and sponges like you see in the Caribbean, but lots of healthy hard corals and sea life, including lots of turtles and many Octopus even during day time. And you will see critters and beautiful tropical fish that you don't get to see in the Caribbean, like the Moorish Idol and the Picasso Triggerfish.

Night diving with Mantas near Kona ranks among my top diving experiences and we also watched pilot whales from the boat. I would happily go back to Hawaii to dive, it's great IMO.
Thanks

Where in Hawaii?

Thanks
I think it's like comparing a rain forest to the desert...Hawaii being the desert. There's a LOT of cool endemic life in Hawaii that you literally cannot see anywhere else in the world, but it typically isn't obvious and often requires a knowledgable guide to see. And of course, as with all diving, it may require some luck as well.

We've done well over 300 dives in and around Maui and still regularly get surprised by "firsts," seeing things we've never seen before. I think Hawaii diving is great, it's just different than other parts of the world, which is why I recommend strongly that a good guide is essential for folks unfamiliar with the marine life.

As far as what time of year, I would say go during whale season, ideally in February. If you aren't lucky enough to have an underwater encounter with a Humpback, the surface intervals provide great viewing.

As to which island, it depends on what you want to see/do. Oahu is known for its wrecks, Maui is known for being able to dive 4 islands (Molokini, Lanai, Molokai, and Maui) with Molokini crater having a 300' shear wall to dive, and the Big Island is known for the Manta Night dive. Maui and the Big Island have really good shore diving as well.

If you're interested in topside activities, that starts an entirely different conversation.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom