Heads Up On A Roatan Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LowDrag

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
If anyone is planning on going to Roatan and hears about a guy named Lewis coming on your boat and doing a "professional" video of your dive I would pass. Lewis was nice enough but...the video we paid $40 for was not as good of quality as what he showed us at the resort. Also, it was pixelating all down the left side of the video. We thought it was just the video connection at the resort we stayed at but it was even worse when we got our copy and watched it. Also, I should mention that the video format cannot be played on some US DVD players. We tried playing it on my wife's laptop and it would not play hers. We finally got the video to play on my laptop, not sure how but it played.

Anyway, Lewis is a nice guy but his video was lacking in quality. Just wanted to give folks a heads up and a warning to be careful what you buy.

What boat or dive operation was he encountered upon?

I really enjoyed your comments about the airport. You have a nice attitude :)

I'm sorry to hear you are not pleased with the video Luis produced for you. I have been knowing Luis for a number of years, and he is a good Christian guy. I'm sure he didn't intend to give you something less than you wanted. He's really not that kind of guy. From our experience $40 is lower than what he usually charges. Perhaps he discounted the price because he had issues with quality?

Anyway, sorry you're not happy with your video. Whatever happened, Luis is REALLY not a bad guy. I guess we all have a bad day sometimes...

:shrug: Yes, there's comperssion/correction artifacts on some if the frames. Yes it's over-corrected in places. No, I'm not overly fond of the soundtrack (that's an easy one: there's a knob for that).

Do you have any idea how much it costs to make a NatGeo level video?

Do you have any idea how much it costs to make a NatGeo level video?

You mean a professional, as in a guy who makes a living with photography?

Here's who you can ask, right there on Roatan.

NatGeo, PBS, BBC, Discovery Channel- this is the Roatan Video guy with those credentials: Tim Blanton Productions - Home

Last edited:
He should refund your money.

Hey all...I am not wanting anyone to think bad about Luis. As I said he is a really nice guy. All I am saying is check out your video before you buy to see if you want it or not. I would be willing to bet that Luis would work with anyone on price based on video quality. It was a pleaseure hanging out with Luis and diving with him. Like I said, there is no ilwill felt towards Luis. Just sending out a heads up is all.

Hey all...I am not wanting anyone to think bad about Luis. As I said he is a really nice guy. All I am saying is check out your video before you buy to see if you want it or not.

What has occurred to me is that I should have asked him to copy the iso to a thumb drive (I usually have a couple on me) instead burning the dvd. My laplet does not have a dvd drive and I couldn't check the disk right there and then. It does have a usb port.

As for the quality, mine's about what I expected for the price and colours don't look that different from what was shown in the hotel. Well within the difference in colour calibration between the tv in the hotel and my screen at home.

My God, that's really a great advertisement for the beauty of Roatan!

Reminds me of when we did the aerial tour with the outfit that disappeared after their crash a few years ago. The island and the waters around Roatan are just stunning when seen from the air.

Back
Top Bottom