Heated Drysuits

Discussion in 'Research and Development' started by SOCOM2025, Aug 9, 2006.

1. SOCOM2025

SOCOM2025 Angel Fish

Hello everyone I have developed a new heated dive suit that will allow divers to dive in extreme cold water -30 to below normal diving conditions. This suit uses new heating elements solution and can be controled by the diver VIA a computor to monitor the dive suit temperature and water temperature. how much would you pay to enjoy your diving adventures in mild cold water or even arctic waters let me know what you think

2. roturner

roturner ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    If you're looking for someone to beta test your gear then you are welcome to contact me. In the winters the average water temperature here is about 2C and dives to the freezing point or even slightly below are not uncommon. Any improvement over freezing your patoosh off is welcome.

The existing systems I've seen either work with electricity and are subject to short circuits (or even catching fire!!!!) or chemical hot packs, some of which work in such a way that the deeper you go, the hotter they get.... Neither is ideal. Argon in these temperatures is also just a bandaid on a bleeding wound.

If you've found something else that solves these problems and provides for convenient use and less risk of skin burns then I'm sure you'll have a market. The ideal system is reliable enough that you would risk a signficant foryay into deco in very cold water...

R..

3. SOCOM2025

SOCOM2025 Angel Fish

Thank you for your feed back and you are right any thing that helps you dive more smarter and keeps your mind on the dive and not the water temperature that makes a world of a diffences and I will keep you in mind when we launch the suit in the eurpe market and once again thank you for your feed back on my product idea

4. Gillty

Gillty Scuba Instructor

I think I would pay somewhere around the price of what a new set of woolies cost. As long as the device worked well I believe you could retail at somewhere in the 150 to 300 price range. If it cost more than that I would probably just go out and get an extra set of woolies add a few pounds.

I think the logistics of setting up a system like that would create a lot of extra work for the diver, for instance.

Would you have to cut a hole in your suit to run the wiring to the computer? Can this be done by the end user?

What would be protocol for a suit flood?

What if you are diving in warmer water in the suit can you just disconnect everything easily and dive without it or will you just have to leave the heater in but without any heat on?

If you have a reliable system that keeps you warm, I think you would have a winner.

5. lowwall

lowwall Barracuda

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Are the heating elements actually built into the drysuit or is it a separate undergarment? What happens if the suit is torn or flooded?

6. Toolbox-13

Toolbox-13 Scuba Instructor

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    They already have heated drysuits its called a submarine...lol...Only kidding, I personally like to dive wet but I do wish you good luck marketing your product. Lots of folks do dive dry so you may have a winner

7. lowwall

lowwall Barracuda

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    How about a heated wetsuit? That would be a neat trick. You could sell 'em by the tens of thousands.

8. _Bella_

_Bella_ Barangay Pasaway

They have those, it's called peeing in your suit. :crafty:

9. SOCOM2025

SOCOM2025 Angel Fish

thank you for your feed back and the suit is a new concept which allows the diver full control complete diver loop which means you tell the suit to heat 2 second burst or 10 min burst of heat and if you where in warm waters you can download the software that uses a usb port to connect to your lap top then just download the dive location in to the suits computer and the suit will adjust to the dive area and if you plan your dive as you would any dive the suit will give you that extra comfort if needed.you can adjust the heat for depth control heating in any given time frame of the dive has you know the further we go the colder it gets and it is important to know that the body gets even a slite cross wind can make you shake just once and all I want is to enjoy my dive no matter what the water temperatures is,

10. TSandM

TSandM Missed and loved by many.

# of Dives:
    If there were a reliable and easily used drysuit heating system, I would buy one and it could cost a fair amount. If there were a heated drysuit available (given the same caveats), I would have fairly cheerfully paid another $500 over the cost of my recently acquired suit.

11. Darnold9999

Darnold9999 Humbolt Squid

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Assuming it works and is safe would depend on its impact on boyancy. i.e. do I need to carry more or less lead - if more not interested if less $500 or perhaps more. Need more information.

12. EastEndDiver

EastEndDiver Photographer

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    What is the "concept" behind your heating ? I find this interesting in that you have not mentioned what METHOD is being used to actually heat the suit.

13. mattroz

mattroz Barracuda

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    if he has a winning product why would he let it out of the bag before he has a chance to market it and release it?

14. JeffG

JeffG Giant Squid

There already is. It would set someone back about $600 or so. (Batteries, canister. Patco 24W heater. Bulkheads for the drysuit)

Works great and makes cold water dives very nice. The idea of having al this for $150 is a pipe dream and the idea having it computer controlled is a waste.

15. EastEndDiver

EastEndDiver Photographer

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999

Because I think it's not a reality.Why hasn't some of the large scuba equipment manufacturers jumped at his idea? If this item is really earthshattering I think he would have gone to any of the scuba equipment manufacturers and sold them the idea.

16. Toolbox-13

Toolbox-13 Scuba Instructor

They allready have 2 heated wet suits
    1st option: The Cheapest Peeing in your wet suit...LOL
    2nd option: Hot Water Suits that Commercial Divers Use. It's not too practical with Scuba but Diving Surface Supplied Air its the ticket

17. roturner

Actually, Jeff, I'm not sure that there isn't room for another system. The electrical system you're talking about has caused short circuits and burns, to the point of which at least one diver using this system has had to cut open his drysuit mid-dive because his undergarment caught fire......Imagine having to deco your way out of *that* mess...

The chemical systems are also prone to getting too hot. A battery powered heated water system might offer more control and less chance of burn wounds than the conventional systems.

R..

18. mirrocraft

mirrocraft Barracuda

you have a great idea from waht it sounds like and if its all you say it is and you can keep it affordible for all divers you will make more money trying to make a little off each on rather than selling to a big comp. thats going to try to get rich off the first few thay sell no one thinks of the poor fellow any more we cant all pay 1500 for a suit but if we could all afford it we all would buy it

19. JeffG

JeffG Giant Squid

A fuse. But with my system "I" control when its on, so if there is a short, I could just turn it off.

But the Patco heater is water proof, its the connection from the patco to the battery wire that is the danger area.

I know someone using a motorcycle heating vest and was getting shocked and he just turned off his suit heatrer. I was flooding a bit, but with my patco I just keep on going.

YMMV

20. roturner

Sounds like a pretty robust system. I don't have any direct experience with it....perhaps the point being that the heaters out there are improving (even if they're not getting cheaper) to the point where the need for a new system is questionable unless it closes the price gap.

Still, I thought the hot water idea wasn't bad.... :)

R..