Hello from middle Tennessee

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChampUSMC

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey yall. Brand new, just certified yesterday at Martha's Quarry with my 19 yr old daughter. We plan on some daddy daughter dive trips in the future. Thanks for having me.

Congratulations and welcome to the forums! I'm in Knoxville and dive mostly with my 17 year old son -- it's a great activity to do together.

Congratulations and welcome to the forums! I'm in Knoxville and dive mostly with my 17 year old son -- it's a great activity to do together.
Thanks! My daughter is a 2nd year student at UTK.

Thanks! My daughter is a 2nd year student at UTK.
There are 2 quarries set up for scuba about 30 minutes south of Knoxville (in Athens, TN and Philadelphia, TN) and 1 about 1.5 hours north (in Gray, TN) in case y'all want to try out some of the other quarries in the region. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about local diving and dive shops (3 in the area).

For a landlocked state, we're actually pretty lucky to have all of the quarries we do that are set up for scuba -- plus there's some decent lake diving in SC, and the FL panhandle is a hike but doable for weekend/long-weekend trips.

There are 2 quarries set up for scuba about 30 minutes south of Knoxville (in Athens, TN and Philadelphia, TN) and 1 about 1.5 hours north (in Gray, TN) in case y'all want to try out some of the other quarries in the region. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about local diving and dive shops (3 in the area).

For a landlocked state, we're actually pretty lucky to have all of the quarries we do that are set up for scuba -- plus there's some decent lake diving in SC, and the FL panhandle is a hike but doable for weekend/long-weekend trips.
Yessir, we've been scoping out those you mentioned. The Athens and Philly quarries will be a good place for her and I to meet up on the weekends. The Gray quarry sounds nice too, and I hear there is no thermocline there.

Yessir, we've been scoping out those you mentioned. The Athens and Philly quarries will be a good place for her and I to meet up on the weekends. The Gray quarry sounds nice too, and I hear there is no thermocline there.
That's right, Gray was 79 degrees at the bottom on Saturday - makes it worth the drive to me, plus they have some neat things to see in the water (houseboat, bus, etc.). 2 weeks ago Philly quarry was 56 at the bottom (80 up top, with a couple of thermocline levels), and I'm sure Loch Lo Minn in Athens would be similar. Philly quarry is probably the easiest place to meet if you need gear -- they can rent everything right on site with quite reasonable prices. Gray has a dive shop (Smoky Mountain Divers) close by. Loch Lo Minn rents gear too, but their prices to rent are quite high, including $1 per pound to rent weights.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom