Hello - New to these boards and looking for advise please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PennyOR

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi there, I'm hoping someone can give me some advice on the age old ear problem please. I did quite a bit of diving before I had kids, and last week went back to it after a 20 year break. I always used to have terrible problems equalising my ears, lots of pain and it would take me forever to descend, but I always got there in the end. After a dive my ears would often feel blocked for a while but nothing more than that. However this time was different. The first dive, I found it very hard to equalise until one ear felt a slight pop and water rushed in. No pain, and I continued the dive. Ears were blcoked afterwards but not sore, and I did some more dives over the next few days. again I had some pain on descent but not too bad and I did manage to equalise as I was descending. However, after the final dive (8 days ago now) both ears were very painful and felt blocked. I'm seeing an ENT this afternoon for possible ruptured ear drum, but my question is A) If it IS ruptured is this the end of diving for me forever? and B) Is there anything I can do to make my ears easier to equalise? I often have trouble on planes too, with ear pain.

Thanks for your help.

Pop? Highly likely a blown eardrum. Please do let us know what the doctor said.

a) from most of what I have read, yes.

b) diving more seems to make equalizing easier - the body gets used to it. Sudafed and other such things help many. Easy does it.

Welcome! :)

You will get a lot more attention with your question by posting in either of these two places:

Ask Dr. Deco
or
Accidents and Incidents
When you log on, click on "Community" and find a place that seems to fit your reason for posting. Look for the "Stickpins" at the top of each forum. They will help you decide if you are in the best place.

Try starting a new thread in whichever seems best for you. BTW, I've really torn an eardrum and after letting it heal I have no problems diving.

Last edited:
Ok thanks for your advice. I'm really hoping I will be able to dive again, because I really enjoyed it once I got over some nerves on the first dive.

For what it's worth, my neighbor (pool leak repair, diver) finally blew his ear drum out after years of pressure changes. After a good layoff we went diving this summer and he was fine.

When you grab your inflator to dump and descend you should grab your nose at the same time to start equalizing. Never wait to feel the pressure change.

I had a terrible time equalizing my ears on my first few dives, but my body started adjusting as I dove regularly. What helped me the most was this: I started equalizing the second I was beneath the surface even though I knew my ears wouldn't start hurting until around 15 ft. When I do that I have no problems at all. If I wait until I start feeling the pressure at 15 ft I'm screwed. I then have to ascend and then it takes me forever and a day to get to the bottom. Now I like to joke and state that I start equalizing before I jump off the boat:)

Pain in your ears and a blocked sensation after the dive often implies that there has been bleeding in the middle ear. It's not all that dangerous, but if this happens every time you dive it would be best to learn some more effective techniques for equalisation, at the very least. As others have said, a blown eardrum does not mean the end for your diving, but does take some time to heal. How do you know it was water rushing into the middle ear, was it cold? Worst case scenario, the pop that you heard could have been a ruptured inner ear window, but in that case hearing in that ear should be pretty poor by now. In any case, let us know what the ENT doctor found, if it's not too sensitive. Safe diving!

Thanks for your help and advice guys. Well the ENT found dark red bruising in the middle ear of the left ear (the less blocked/ painful one) so quite possibly there had been some bleeding there. The right one (the more painful one) after suctioning, he could see was very infected but thankfully no perforation. He gave me some new drops which are working a treat, right ear still a bit sore 2 weeks after my last dive, but coming right and hearing much better, almost but not quite back to normal. So thankfully it looks like I will be able to dive again, but I will do some research and preparation first to better equalize my ears first.

sudafed and ibuprofen before you leave the dock, and re dose half way through the day. Commercial divers call them divers candy. That should help, and start clearing early and constantly on descent. Hope that helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom