Help me choose a once-in-a-lifetime SCUBA trip!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is odd as I can buy contact lenses on line with no prescription and contacts are not included in health care so most people have to purchase them. Selling them to you should have been a simple transaction.

It sounds like it should have been easy, but it wasn't!

My diving passion is wrecks.
Someone must have already mentioned it ie Truk Lagoon.

Scapa Flow is a bit cheaper but those Kaiser's wrecks are NOT as impressive as those in Truk.

Coron is even cheaper but nothing beat Truk.

HMS Hermes off the coast of Sri Lanka is very good but you need to be tec certified.

From time to time there is special trip to dive those wrecks of Jutland Battle 1916.

Last edited:
For me, $4k seems like alot of budget for 2 weeks, on my last trip i got >6 weeks and 45 dives i 3 locations and 2 countrys for ~€4k

For me the budget was roughly €1k flight, 1€k hotels, €1k diving and €1k food, drinks, bus/taxi, scooters, and other, but that was for 6 weeks.

in SEA the prices are low and the people are (ime) friendly.

But with a tight timeframe time of travel get more importent, for me its about 14 hours from my front door to BKK.

I seems flight time from Chicago to for example Manila is 18-20 hours and prices around $1200

Budgets are funny things. Everyone has their own ideas about what is necessary and what is extra.

For this trip, I've reserved a plane ticket ($900) and a cabin on the Emperor Superior (€1050), and that's the most expensive itinerary. That's food, lodging and 21 dives over 7 nights. If I did that twice, that's roughly your 45 dives for roughly €3k. €1000 for 4 weeks of inexpensive food and lodging? Given what I'm seeing for prices in Egypt, that is probably quite doable -- especially if you went with one of the €700 liveaboard itineraries X 2. Then you get €55+ a day for that time!

The flight is a fixed cost whether you stay for 6 days or 6 weeks. Food and lodging adds cost, but in Egypt (and I'm sure, the Philippines) that is surprisingly low. It's the flight and diving that's expensive, so whether you do 45 dives in 2 weeks or 45 dives in 6 weeks doesn't change the cost dramatically.

I'm not interested in being away from my family for 6 weeks. 2 weeks is plenty. So the 6 week trip would no doubt be a better value, it doesn't fit with the rest of my life. And I'd like to see parts of Egypt *not* through a mask! :) And given that the biggest costs of a trip are largely the same no matter how long you stay, it doesn't surprise me that my costs are not much lower than a trip three times as long.

But that also leaves a little room for extras: In my $4k budget, I'm paying €140 for a private single room. I now know that I don't have to worry about a roommate watching a movie when I want to sleep or in and out of the room all night -- or *I* can be the one to watch a movie without disturbing someone else! :) I'm paying €50 for 15L doubles. And I still have budget for a side-trip to Luxor or something similar.

Again, budgets are funny things. Everyone else told me to double my budget! :) I'm actually pretty pleased about the balance of time, money, destination and diving. C'mon October! :)

Egypt is a bargain, no doubt. Unfortunately, there are reasons for that.

Have an awesome time! I'm sure you will. We did.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom