Help needed with equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubadeep1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
OK, never been spearfishing or around it. I have a friend DM in Cozumel Mexico that has asked me to bring a speargun and whatever is needed to him next time I'm down. All he has requested is that it be 102cm or longer. So here is my question, what the h-ll do I need to get him. Can you all help me with what type of gun, spear, shaft, reel, etc. etc.etc. is needed for reef spearing. Again I know nothing that is required. Is there a complete setup I can buy. Do you connect something to the spear to keep from losing or retrieving the fish. Do you have a reel or is one required. I have looked online at bit and it seems there are different types of guns open/ closed which is better. He says most fish will be under 15lbs. do you need single dbl. triple bands, does replacement parts availability play a key role in choosing a gun. Like I said he is in Cozumel Mx. so clear water. Can someone list what is all needed for a spearfishing setup and what model they would recommend. Greatly appreciate this as I don't have an LDS that knows anything about spearfishing.

OK, never been spearfishing or around it. I have a friend DM in Cozumel Mexico that has asked me to bring a speargun and whatever is needed to him next time I'm down. All he has requested is that it be 102cm or longer. So here is my question, what the h-ll do I need to get him. Can you all help me with what type of gun, spear, shaft, reel, etc. etc.etc. is needed for reef spearing. Again I know nothing that is required. Is there a complete setup I can buy. Do you connect something to the spear to keep from losing or retrieving the fish. Do you have a reel or is one required. I have looked online at bit and it seems there are different types of guns open/ closed which is better. He says most fish will be under 15lbs. do you need single dbl. triple bands, does replacement parts availability play a key role in choosing a gun. Like I said he is in Cozumel Mx. so clear water. Can someone list what is all needed for a spearfishing setup and what model they would recommend. Greatly appreciate this as I don't have an LDS that knows anything about spearfishing.

We can definitely help you out with both advice and all the gear necessary. MAKO sells DIRECT - with no retail overhead between you and the manufacturer. So our prices are extremely competitive.

However, I need a little more information to get you rigged with the appropriate equipment. For example, I need to know if this is for scuba or freediving.

If the gun is to be used for scuba and the target is fish less than 15 lbs, then there is no reason to buy a reel or use a floatline. A simple basic gun with no reel will suffice.

Now if you are freediving, then you have two basic options.. either use a reel or a floatline and float. You will need to use either one of these, and they each have advantages and disadvantages. Before going into a big discussion of some of those topics, it would probably be best to figure out what kind of diving you (or he) will be doing.

• Freedive or scuba?
  • What depth will you be freediving?
  • Price.. Are you looking for the absolute least expensive option or perhaps some enahncements that may provide more utility.

We can address some of your other questions as well, when we know the application.

Thanks!
Dano

It will be for scuba. Not looking for the top of the line nor bottom of the line. Want to get good quality unit that will do what the task at hand is and not break down. If enhancements are needed to have the proper tool for the job then yes I want him to have the needed enhancements. Want a complete setup with everything that is needed to get the job done. With him being in Mexico he has a hard time getting things especially since he doesn't have a credit card to order online. Dano thanks for your help.

It will be for scuba. Not looking for the top of the line nor bottom of the line. Want to get good quality unit that will do what the task at hand is and not break down. If enhancements are needed to have the proper tool for the job then yes I want him to have the needed enhancements. Want a complete setup with everything that is needed to get the job done. With him being in Mexico he has a hard time getting things especially since he doesn't have a credit card to order online. Dano thanks for your help.

Here are a few hints from anther divers for spear fishing.
3 feet length is good size ,two strings is enough, don't go with the coil strings rubber is the best
just the rubber line for attachment from shaft to the guns and have it lock specially when you are with another divers and lock it when you do the hunting.
Ali love's diving from oregon

Ok great! First, it is important to have the correct size gun for the visibility. Even for smaller fish, clear water means longer guns. You said your friend wanted over 100 cm. My recommendation for the very clear water of Cozumel would be a 110 or 120 cm gun.

We offer two basic models of spearguns. The Predator and the Oceanic line, with the Oceanic being higher end.

If you can afford the slightly higher cost, I would recommend the Oceanic Gun. The Oceanic gun is an Enclosed Track Gun. This means that the barrel is entirely enclosed around the spear shaft with the exception of an open slot or groove at the top. This open slot allows the shark fin tab of the shaft to protrude above and make them accesible for the bands to be loaded.

The enclosed track has many benefits, but for scuba divers, one of the biggest benefits is faster reloading of the gun. The diver drops the end of the shaft into the front of the gun (the muzzle) and the shaft will drop down the slot and provide extremely easy and quick engagement into the trigger mechanism.

moetr-barrel_dtl.jpg

The shafts we use are EXTREMELY strong and hard and resistant to bending. We import them from South Africa. The shark fin shafts are also stronger than a notched shaft, which is made by cutting a slot into the shaft itself. this is a much less expensive means to make a shaft, but it also weakens it by reducing the cross sectional area of the shaft and provides a weak point for the shaft.

MAMSF-2T.jpg

If the Oceanic is out of your price range, then I would recommend a Predator Pro gun with a closed muzzle (for scuba hunting).

We hand make each gun at the time of ordering. The latex bands are hand tied and constructed at our facility in Virginia. We have a few options for latex bands - I recommend you order the gun with two bands, and a Hawaiian flopper shaft. This is an extremely robust configuration and simple to load and use.

Note that this allows us to offer the absolute freshest latex bands - without any increase in cost. Most other manufacturers have their bands mass produced and then they are shipped with the guns and sit on the retailer shelf for quite some time (until eventually sold). Once a band is tied, (compressed around a wishbone) the latex begins to "age".

Either model will be very powerful, if shooting into holes at close range, it is recommend to load only one band to avoid the shaft being wedged into rocks etc. For open water shots, both bans would be used to provide maximum power, accuracy and range. There is no need to remove a band from the gun, just leave it unloaded when not needed.

It would probably make sense to order a spare shaft and extra monofilament shooting line. Eventually a shaft may be lost or a shark may bend one when stealing a fish etc.

All guns come fully rigged and ready to use with a shaft, shooting line, muzzle bungi etc. One option which I recommend is to add the rubber butt pad. It is approximately $5 option and makes the gun more comfortable to load.

This is a promotional link from my website; it provides a detailed review of the many attributes of MAKO guns and may help you to compare important features to other guns. We use all stainless steel components in the triggers, the best south African Shafts, the best american made (Primeline) latex - which is hand tied and the barrels are constructed of extremely strong aircraft grade aluminum pipe. The Oceanic ETR barrel is custom designed and made exclusively for MAKO, we designed and manufacture this barrel.. It is unique.

Why Buy A MAKO Speargun

I hope that helps. If you have more questions, we are always happy to follow up with a personal message or a phone call during normal business hours.

Thanks!

Dano

If you can send your friend a line, ask him a couple of questions.

Where does he prefer the handle to be placed? And does he prefer wood or metal/composite? Both are personal preference.

I prefer wood, and a gun with a stock aft of the handle. The wood seems a bit quieter. The butt stock helps in two ways. First, it's easier to hip load. Second, the butt can make the gun easier to maneuver. The handle turns into the fulcrum of a lever, and by pushing or pulling on the stock, you make the barrel move the opposite direction. Useful for those last second corrections.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom