Help with buying BP/W & gear in Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ikarntspel

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

Ive been wanting to buy a full set of gear for myself and finally decided to do so..

I was trained and always have rented BCDs, however, after reading more around the forums and reviews have come to wanting a BP/W setup.

Ive taken a look at DRIS as its not too exp, but with the Australian dollar and shipping it still comes to around 600$ AUD
My usual dive shop stocks Hollis equipment but i find that it is alittle expensive.

Is there any recommendations to which i should pick or which are similar or easier to get in AUS?

Thanks all :)

Give Jim Lapenta (same username here) a shout and see if he can figure out something for you. He may be able to save you enough money that shipping it to Australia might be worth it.

A thread over on Basic was started by babycover just before Christmas that had a quote from Dive Tub for a Hog setup I don't think anyone could beat it.

Sorry can not work out how to link to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all,

Ive been wanting to buy a full set of gear for myself and finally decided to do so..

I was trained and always have rented BCDs, however, after reading more around the forums and reviews have come to wanting a BP/W setup.

Ive taken a look at DRIS as its not too exp, but with the Australian dollar and shipping it still comes to around 600$ AUD
My usual dive shop stocks Hollis equipment but i find that it is alittle expensive.

Is there any recommendations to which i should pick or which are similar or easier to get in AUS?

Thanks all :)

Freight is expensive, and getting worse all the time. Having said that we can typically get a complete rig to Australia for ~$100-115 depending on exactly what is ordered and where exactly it is sent. Freight is based on weight so it's not really practical to quote a cost without knowing exactly what would be in the box.

Pricing on the gear can be found on the DeepSeaSupply website.

We ship worldwide routinely. If you would like a specific recommendation for your application you can email me at tobin@deepseasupply.com.

To make a recommendation I need to know:

Height and weight

Most buoyant exposure suit

Least buoyant suit

Cylinders used.

The more specific the better.

Tobin

Chrisso at The Dive Tub has a net based business here and has some pretty decent prices. Here is the link. By the way I have no affiliation with Chrisso nor have I bought anything from him yet. I do know a number of his very satisfied customers tho. :)

I have run into problems with service for gear purchased on an over seas trip. The manufacturer was willing to honor warranty but the local Rep insisted I had to ship it back to the States at my expense since I hadn't bought it here! Just something to be aware of.

I did buy my BPW when I was in Florida last July but it turned out the exchange rate was a killer.

Thanks for all the replies, would like to thank individually but i like to keep things neat :D

Give Jim Lapenta (same username here) a shout and see if he can figure out something for you. He may be able to save you enough money that shipping it to Australia might be worth it.

I actually emailed him earlier due to seeing him from a different post and the cost comes out to be approximately 690$ which is quite high still IMO

A thread over on Basic was started by babycover just before Christmas that had a quote from Dive Tub for a Hog setup I don't think anyone could beat it.

Sorry can not work out how to link to it.

Was it this one here? http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ba...dvice-recommendation.html?highlight=babycover

Chrisso at The Dive Tub has a net based business here and has some pretty decent prices. Here is the link. By the way I have no affiliation with Chrisso nor have I bought anything from him yet. I do know a number of his very satisfied customers tho. :)

I have run into problems with service for gear purchased on an over seas trip. The manufacturer was willing to honor warranty but the local Rep insisted I had to ship it back to the States at my expense since I hadn't bought it here! Just something to be aware of.

I did buy my BPW when I was in Florida last July but it turned out the exchange rate was a killer.

I was looking at that website prior to the post, but it seems that is the cheapest i have found so far and will most likely end up buying from there due to the crappy AUS dollar and shipping fees.
That was another issue i was thinking would occur if i were to buy from overseas..

I know that Chrisso actually agrees to let you try stuff and return it if you need to. I have heard really good things about him. Failing that waiting for some special deals at the next OzTeck or something like that. Unfortunately I don't know when the next will be.

We have bought a lot of our gear from our LDS 's Frogdive and Snorkel Safari over the years. They give good service and Frog let you try stuff out in their onsite pool.

Sometimes it is a balance between supporting the bricks/mortar service and the war of the pocket book :doh:

When we went to North America in 2015 I kinda painted myself into a corner. I didn't bring my BCD with the plan of getting a better deal in Florida where we were going to dive. With changes in the Aussie dollar by the time we got there at the end of our 3 month trip I really didn't save much if anything but I had to buy or miss the diving. Turned out well enough in the end because when we were at NetDoc and mselenaous place she gave me a lot of help with the setup. It is my first BPW I've dive back inflate for years but I figured since my LadyHawk was pretty much worn out I might as well go to BPW.

I know that Chrisso actually agrees to let you try stuff and return it if you need to. I have heard really good things about him. Failing that waiting for some special deals at the next OzTeck or something like that. Unfortunately I don't know when the next will be.

We have bought a lot of our gear from our LDS 's Frogdive and Snorkel Safari over the years. They give good service and Frog let you try stuff out in their onsite pool.

Sometimes it is a balance between supporting the bricks/mortar service and the war of the pocket book :doh:

When we went to North America in 2015 I kinda painted myself into a corner. I didn't bring my BCD with the plan of getting a better deal in Florida where we were going to dive. With changes in the Aussie dollar by the time we got there at the end of our 3 month trip I really didn't save much if anything but I had to buy or miss the diving. Turned out well enough in the end because when we were at NetDoc and mselenaous place she gave me a lot of help with the setup. It is my first BPW I've dive back inflate for years but I figured since my LadyHawk was pretty much worn out I might as well go to BPW.

If i can figure out what stuff i need to buy then ill probs end up buying from divetub.
Snorkel safarai (which is the diveshack now) is the one i usually go to to purchase all my gear and where i got my license so i do quite like that place, however, they only stock apeks or hollis gear for BP/W setups. I would love some place where theres a pool so i could tryout but theres no frogdive in south australia sadly or anywhere that has a pool connected to the shop (to which i know of).

Hi mate, don't know if this helps you but looking for pee valve last night stumbled onto Adelaide scuba web site and says it has an onsite heated pool.

Only remember because I am jealous none I know of in Melbourne.

I remember someone telling me dive tub has test gear available but can't remember who so can't confirm.

I dived with babycover yesterday and his new hog regs he was very happy with them.

PS most of my gear is Hollis and very happy with it but would have gone Hog stuff if I knew about it based on cost.

Hi mate, don't know if this helps you but looking for pee valve last night stumbled onto Adelaide scuba web site and says it has an onsite heated pool.

Only remember because I am jealous none I know of in Melbourne.

I remember someone telling me dive tub has test gear available but can't remember who so can't confirm.

I dived with babycover yesterday and his new hog regs he was very happy with them.

PS most of my gear is Hollis and very happy with it but would have gone Hog stuff if I knew about it based on cost.

Ill take a further look into it, thanks for the suggestion and thats also great to hear, makes me excited to buy mine :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom