Here’s Why Swordfish May be the Worst Seafood You Can Eat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-03-30 at 4.51.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-30 at 4.51.44 PM.png
    207 KB · Views: 40
In one of the chapters in "Slow Death By Rubber Ducky (a book about toxins found in every day household products)," some Canadians used their body chemistry (analysis of blood and other fluids) to evaluate (by eating massive amounts of tuna fish for a month) accumulation and elimination of heavy metals, especially mercury.

They found that sweat was the best body fluid for eliminating mercury. In addition, citric acid (especially orange zest) is considered effective at eliminating heavy metals since the structure of citric acid is the appropriate size to grab and eliminate heavy metal ions.

@ScubaWithTurk , how about invasive species? Lionfish are beautiful ... in the regions they are native.

I would have no personal issue eating Lionfish in the regions where they are actually invasive. When I was in the UAE, and also here in Bali, they are native so no but when I was in Florida, I would have eaten them for sure.

I would have no personal issue eating Lionfish in the regions where they are actually invasive. When I was in the UAE, and also here in Bali, they are native so no but when I was in Florida, I would have eaten them for sure.
On a single average dive in South Florida, where they are invasive, I see more lionfish than I saw in 3 weeks of diving in Palau, where they are native.

Ha ha, tilefish is what we used to get in school lunches, it's probably still true.
Seriously? Golden Tilefish is very expensive. It lives very deep and is hard to catch. It's also very tasty.

Given that Mercury is used as a preservative antibacterial in pharmaceuticals, maybe we should all be going for the higher end of the chart, if it keeps the bacteria and parasites down. Life is all about those trade offs.
276E32B2-8B5A-47F5-8516-7C8B669265F1.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom