Higgins Lake this weekend.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thunder Bay Minnow

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Anyone else going to be there?

I will solo if I have to but thought I might hang with another or group.

If anyone doing check outs let me know also.

Jeff

989 255-3075

Does anyone know the where abouts of the clear dome that used to be located near Amvet?

Where was it located when originally placed there?

Its been a few years since I have been up at Higgins. Nice dive spot, except for the walk out if you don't have a boat. Not sure where the dome is at off of the Amvets. If you find it, let me know! Hopefully I'll be able to get up there some time this year for a dive.

The dome has been gone for several years. I've been back and forth in the area, and there has been no sign of it. It was to the south of AmVets. I had a map of the area that showed the location, but many of the items got shifted around over the years.

Any idea where the closest place is around there for either tank rental or just fills?

There used to be a spot at Higgins that used to do fills. Unfortunately, its no longer open. Best thing if possible is the bring any tanks that you think you might need for diving.

From what I can tell, the closest shops would be a little more than an hour away from the lake. Two possible options would be:

Divers Central
6620 E M-115
Cadillac, MI 49601
Phone 231-876-3483
Fax 231-876-3484
Email divers@netonecom.net

Or

Scuba North
13380 S. West Bayshore Dr.
Traverse City, MI 49684
Phone: (231) 947-2520
Fax: (231) 947-2899
Email: dive@scubanorth.com

I'm not affiliated with either shop and have never been to either, its just what I was able to find (gotta love Google).

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the info. I think I came across those sites but was hoping maybe there was something closer that google wasn't finding. If anyone knows anything closer to Grayling, MI, let me know!

I think the Cadillac one might work because we drive through there on our way up, but I was hoping for somewhere closer to drive for fill-ups when I'm up in Grayling for 2 weeks at a time.

I dove Higgins a few times last year. The closest shops are Traverse City or Cadillac. When I was at the lake for more then a few days I made the trip to Traverse- Scuba North is a great shop. (Tell Doug I said Hi!)

If you head up there this year let me know, I will always head back up there for diving.

As mentioned the dome is gone, and most of the other "man put items" are gone also. I grew up (during the summers) up there and before the dive shop was gone they did a lot of diving there.

Off the Amvets lodge is great, and now there is a public boat launch by (or at) the old Olde Point Comfort.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom