HMS Yukon Dive Report 08/07/05

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jerry why do you care what plan hes using?

He posted the technical dive plan on the board for all to see. Why shouldn't I ask about it? If you post a dive plan, expect to get questions about it. That is the idea of a forum.

70min at 90' on 36% should get you out of the water in a little over 80 minutes. He stayed another 25. (and he had to take a leak...owww painful). So I'm interested in why if he had to take a leak, and if at least according to decompression theory as I understand it he was finished with his deco long before, why did he stay in the water on high po2's and push his CNS clock?

I am not criticizing his decision to take this risk, that is his choice, just curious about it.

Jerry

Since this report has taken on a life of it's own, I've split this out into its own thread.

For what it's worth, I get the feeling that Terry is concerned about putting too much info about his dive plan on the board.

It's only my guess, but I think he does not want someone without the proper training to think it sounds simple enough to just "give it a shot". I don't mean to put words in Terry's mouth and this is purely speculation on my part, but I think he may just not want to take the chance that he might contribute to someone getting hurt by posting details about the plan.

I get this feeling because he did say that he would answer specific questions about his plan via PM or email.

If I've made a mistake with my speculation, I hope Terry will set it straight.

Christian

California Diver:
the original dive plan was for 90 minutes on the wreck terry aborted at 70 because he had to take a leak. i dont think 90 was enough next time were gonna do 120.

A balanced P-Valve + an external catheter (or Depend) should be considered a mandatory piece of equipment for this kind of dive (although wetting your undergarment probably won't kill you :11: ).

Headhunter,

Not leaving the impression that this was something to be undertaken lightly was exactly my concern as well, which is why I raised the question.

The point I have been trying to make is that there are important considerations to look at before doing decompression dives. One of them is to not overstay your deco because of the risk of an ox tox. Perhaps he had a good reason, and he definitely does not have to answer to anyone but himself and his buddy. But on a list that is primarily recreational divers and I think it is important to point out that once you go into deco, the world changes and you don't just stay under, just because you can.

Divinman -- I like your dive reports and I particularly like your pictures...so I'm not trying to get on your case. But there are a lot of people who think they can just take their Suunto computer and let it tell them how to do decompression diving who are looking at your dive time and thinking it is really cool. So asking a question about it may get them to thinking that it is not quite that simple. Just saying "don't try this at home kids," doesn't quite do that.

IceDiverInCA

No kidding. You only need one painful experience to convince you that p-valves are essential equipment.

Jerry

jerry this dive was more thought out and planned than you think. this was no hm well my computer tells me to stop so im gonna stop dive. my plan was 90 terrys plan was 80 mins on the wreck. if you abort a dive you still do the deco. the total run time for a dive of 80 minutes at 90 ft on 36 with 100 percent o2 is 105 minutes. 1 hour and 45 minutes.

jerry this dive was more thought out and planned than you think.

Read my posts, I said I was curious about the plan, I never said it was not well planned out. I was simply interested in how you got to it. Now I know, thank you.

this was no hm well my computer tells me to stop so im gonna stop dive.

Again, please read my posts. I never implied that there was no plan per se. I said my concern was that others might interpret it this way as it was posted on a thread of primarily recreational divers and I thought it would be useful to have a better understanding of how you got to the plan. Again, now we have it. thank you.

my plan was 90 terrys plan was 80 mins on the wreck. if you abort a dive you still do the deco.

Well, not necessarily. But I understand why you might want to. An alternative would be to carry tables for shorter dives. So for example if you needed to get out of the water due to a cramp or needing to take a pee after 30 minutes, or 40 minutes and so on, you would not want to do deco for a 80 minute dive. Similarly here you shortened your dive by 10 minutes so you have the option of doing deco for less than that required for 80 minutes. This becomes more important as depth/time/O2 exposure increase. Just something to think about.

the total run time for a dive of 80 minutes at 90 ft on 36 with 100 percent o2 is 105 minutes. 1 hour and 45 minutes.

What decompression algorithm did you use?

Jerry

we used deco planner, ZHL16B, gradients set at 30 and 85. and i wasnt attacking you. and since we were already 70 minutes into the dive we just used the same tables to be conservative, for longer, deeper dives multiple tables are used, or ratio of deco.

Jerry,

I in no way meant to be disrespectful and I did hesitate to post my gas useage and deco information for precisely the reason you mention. I don't think a scuba forum is the appropriate place to teach decompression diving so I didn't respond. I agree with your concerns regarding alternate tables and as Tyler mentioned, had this been a more intensive profile we would have made contingent plans.

Thank you for your post! How was the Doria?? I am not nearly ready for THAT dive but it's on the list of "One day" dives

Terry

after next year, no artifacts... correct?

Back
Top Bottom