Hollis DC1 problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stan_vp

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi there.

Recently I ve bought some Hollis stuff - a few sets of 212+DC1 regs for Sidemount use.
After some use (aprox 10 dives) one of DC1 has started to make wired noise undervater, clicking like with metallic tones. High frequency.
happens only when inhale, and on full to 120bar tank. When inhale fast that noise is coming up in the end of the cycle only. Looks that some kind of valve is popping and beating to its saddle inside of the reg. The same happens when I am inflating BCD.

please advise how to proceed with that, we have no hollis representative in our region who can make the repairs.

That situation is actually highly unpleasant, considering the equipment was new and a few more similar models are still in use. It also would be considered as subject to fail, till the current problem is resolved and the reason of malfunction is clear.

I have the same problem with the exact same set. I just dropped mine off at my local Hollis repair center. When I get them back I'll let you know what he says!

Nice to have it for a set priced more than $1K, actually.
Another issue what is not as serious is the on of my 2nd stages is whistling, so I have to turn the adjustable knob back to make the diaphragm preloaded, and a bit harder to breathe - then the sound go away...
Another piece of - is the Led25 can light charger what is DOA immediately after purchase.
Is that Hollis quality? What about rebreathers then?!

Thinking to get rid of it changing on Dive Rite or Apeks.

Nice to have it for a set priced more than $1K, actually.
Another issue what is not as serious is the on of my 2nd stages is whistling, so I have to turn the adjustable knob back to make the diaphragm preloaded, and a bit harder to breathe - then the sound go away...
Another piece of - is the Led25 can light charger what is DOA immediately after purchase.
Is that Hollis quality? What about rebreathers then?!

Thinking to get rid of it changing on Dive Rite or Apeks.

I have put about 200 dives on my Hollis regs and I have to say I am disappointed. I have experienced the problems discussed here as well as other issues. The regs worked fine for the first 50 or so dives and then little problems started to arise. What bothered me the most was the work of breathing. These regs just don't seem to provide the effortless breathing advertised. I have had these regs regularly serviced and I have taken them to different Hollis certified technicians just to make sure its not human error. One day I did an air sharing exercise with a buddy and noticed that his Apeks reg that hadn't seen a tech in about a year was breathing easier than my Hollis gear that had been overhauled and tuned less than a month prior.

My personal experience is that these regs just don't perform. If you do a search on these forums, Im sure you will find people who are happy as well as people who have experienced similar problems. As far as I am concerned, I have already switched to Apeks.

I had similar issues with mine after 50 dives. My local dealer attempted several times unsucessfully to get them right. He finally exchanged them straight up for two ScubaPro MK25/S600's. No more issues!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom