Hollis Line Cutter anyone?

Discussion in 'General Scuba Equipment Discussions' started by howler93, Mar 15, 2011.

1. howler93

howler93 Angel Fish

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    Hey folks,

I'd like to get a dive knife that's not too expensive, but wont rust out too easily either. And since my fiance/dive buddy is prone to cutting herself with regular knives :shocked2:, I thought this might make a great first dive knife. The Hollis Line Cutting Tool Hollis Gear: TItanium Line Cutter

Any thoughts? Anyone used these before or care to share any experiences? Thanks in advance,

Howler :D

2. BKP

BKP Surface Interval Member

# of Dives: 200 - 499
  3. howler93

howler93 Angel Fish

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    You're right...the Hollis does look like the OMS, only larger and more substantial perhaps? I've heard lots of recommendations for shears vs. knives on these boards....and I thought a tool like this might be the ideal. ANy thoughts on the ideal tool for rec divers who just want to have a handy tool that will be reliable, safe, and effective? Perhaps a blunt tipped knife would be best?

4. Kilili

Kilili Manta Ray

# of Dives:
    The OMS is a favourite, wouldn't dive without. Carry shears as well. No one ideal tool. Knives are over rated.

5. Tortuga68

Tortuga68 Divemaster

# of Dives:
    It's the same, with some extra/bigger holes

Shears or a line cutter would be my choice in the circumstances you describe. Personally I wouldn't get the OMS/Hollis one, too expensive. Get 'disposable' EMT shears or a replacable-blade line cutter. My dive knives I've used more above water than below.

6. Insta-Gator

Insta-Gator Surface Interval Member

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    +1 for the Trilobite from EEZYCUT. Easy to use, replaceable blades, nice sheath with velcro secure strip.

7. RJP

RJP PADI Pro

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    EEZYCUT at www.DiveSeekers.com

Haven't yet found anything it can't cut...

[​IMG]

:shocked2:

8. Akimbo

Akimbo ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives:
    I am not satisfied with the OMS Titanium Z-knife at all. I worked on the cutting edge with diamond hones for 15 minutes and still couldnÂ’t get it to cut nearly as well as a $3 single blade Z-knife. I think it would be a much more effective tool if the top of the cutting edge were not rounded. The knife I describe below cuts better than anything I have ever tried.

9. Tortuga68

Tortuga68 Divemaster

# of Dives:
    I also have and like the item #K1950 from Akimbo's link above

10. tbone1004

tbone1004 Orca

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    7 Hook/ Safety Cutter | Benchmade
    Brian Kakuk recommended that to me. Really awesome Z-knife, well worth the added cost. He said he's had his for a while now and they haven't corroded or anything and are still sharp. Ocean water has killed a lot of my zknives in the past

11. Tortuga68

Tortuga68 Divemaster

# of Dives:
  12. fisheater

fisheater Divemaster Candidate

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I love my Benchmade "7 knife."