Hollis Regulator Service Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yomafacio

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
On the Hollis warranty section, it is very vague on what action needs to be taken each year to qualify for the free parts for life program. From the website, it says, "All products must be inspected and/or serviced annually by an authorized Hollis Service Technician." Does this mean you just need to bring it to a dive shop and at a minimal, have it pass all the benchmarks? Or does it mean you do one year inspection, one year overhaul, etc? Also, during the first 2 years when the limited warranty is in effect, is the servicing required? Thanks.

Straight from Hollis' website. Warranty

LIMITED LIFETIME REPLACEMENT PARTS The Limited Lifetime agreement offers FREE routine annual maintenance parts for as long as you own your Hollis Product and maintain the terms specified below. This program applies to all Hollis Regulators, Buoyancy Compensators, Dive Computers, and Analog Gauges purchased and serviced through an Authorized Dealer in the US & Caribbean only. By registering your are automatically enrolled in the program. There is no additional charge for this program.

This program allows for parts to be provided at no charge for as long as the owner maintains the terms specified below. Individual dealer participation in this program is voluntary. A dealer is only obligated to honor service agreements that they have issued.

Any Authorized Hollis dealer may, at their option, honor a service agreement issued by another dealer.

All products must be inspected and/or serviced annually by an authorized Hollis Service Technician. All labor fees incurred in overhaul service are the responsibility of the owner of the product serviced. This includes, but is not limited to inspection, calibration, battery change, overhaul or other services performed.

To maintain this agreement, you must show proof of authorized service within the last 12 months through the dealers' verification that includes the service date.

This agreement is null and void if such regular annual service is not performed. This agreement is non-transferable and valid for the life of the original owner.

This agreement, and Hollis’ liability, is limited to the replacement parts. Customer receives no other warranties or conditions on parts provided by Hollis, express, implied, statutory, or in any communication with customer, and Hollis specifically disclaims any implied warranty of merchantability of fitness for a particular purpose. In no event will Hollis be liable for lost profits, punitive, exemplary, incidental, consequential or special damages. In any event, Hollis’ liability shall not exceed the purchase price of the original equipment.

This agreement does not apply to, and Hollis will have no obligation to replace, parts with defects or damage caused by misuse, accident, external causes, or installation error.
My understanding is it means that you must have your regs serviced from a Hollis dealer once every 12 months. The dealers replaces the parts and sends the old ones back to Hollis for proof of overhaul to recieve your parts for free. It also appears that if the servicer inspects your reg and find no parts are needed then they will spend proof of inspection and that will qualify you to maintain your status in the program.

Last edited:
It means that the Hollis authorised dealer will do the service, charge you for that service and if they fit parts they are free. If you miss a service in one year you lose the warranty totally. Dishonest LDS techs will do a "test" (does it breath ok) and call it a service (seen it done and I was shocked that the charge was $135 for that). Honest ones will do a proper yearly service and provide parts. The idea behind this offer (I believe), is to ensure the LDS gets more than to sell you a reg, but to continue to sell you servicing, thus ensuring the LDS will stock their regs over other brands, The actual true cost of parts is miniscule compared to what they are charged out at. With one of my Oceonic regs, I think the AUD cost for kit is about $35, and it has a plastic seat, a couple of O rings, 1 zip clip and a SS nut, worth perhaps $1 in practical terms. The free parts is a bait to set the hook of paying yearly servicing costs. As you are not an "Authorised dealer" you cannot service your own regs and still keep the warranty.

Understand what you are generally getting for your money, a service with free parts, does not always equate to a full pull down, clean and rebuild with new parts.

For me, (although I do my own servicing), I work on the theory that any quality reg (from new) will run for around 5 years (at least) without servicing (if treated with care and washed), and usually shows signs of free flowing secondary or intermediate pressure creep on the primary as the first issue. Thus you save 5 years of service costs amounting to some $135/year (in OZ), thus after 5 years you could junk many reg sets and buy new ones from the savings, or simply get a full service and pay the full cost of labour and parts.

My thoughts as to the scare mongering of if you dont get them serviced yearly or you will die, is that if a reg set for average use with care taken, if its so unreliable that it will fail after 1 year of service, I would not buy them. I have some 10 reg sets and non get yearly service, and only on a couple of odd times have I had free flows that require a service. I have however had a number of regs fail spectacularly after a service by LDS (hence why I did a Dive tech course and now service my own).

If you want peace of mind however, I recommend servicing yearly (from a competent LDS or authorised dealer) as you are then paying for risk reduction. When I was paying for servicing, I did find a big difference in quotes on servicing, the trick however is guaranteeing quality work.

If you are like me, and prepared to take a small risk, and know your gear sufficiently to be in tune with how it operates and have the feel for service periods, then you could service 5 yearly or as required earlier. If your regs get flooded or show signs of operating different, then get them serviced.

I had a Diverite Oxygen reg used maybe 6-8 times show pressure creep in the first stage, serviced it (costing about $20 AUD for the kit) and its now fine. Had I got it serviced at a reliable LDS, the probable cost is in the order of $35+$35+$20 which is getting close to the price of a new primary reg, given the whole setup was about $300 new. So something else to consider.

The above is my thoughts, and I am sure others have differing opinions, but keep in mind, you are responsible for your diving safety, so you need to be comfortable with your gear. I am happy with how mine performs and I service 5 yearly or when a problem arises. If you treat your gear like crap, or are at all nervous about it, then get it serviced as per the manufacturers suggestions.

In the end the choice is yours, and you are the one who has to be happy with the result.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom