Hollis stainless steel backplates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a question,which the older and which the newer and what are the differents? 4106o9E26BL.jpghollis-backplate-de-acero-inoxidable.jpg

Great questions, the version on the right is our newest model. From the bottom you will notice we reduced the surface area of our lower left and right corners to avoid interference with the over pressure relief valve. We also changed the orientation of the webbing slots to allow a more comfortable routing. Most importantly, you will notice that one of the waist slots is longer than the other. This is to allow the webbing to move freely meaning adjustments can be made before or after the dive with a simple tug on the waist or shoulder strap. You are no longer locked into position solely because you are diving a plate/harness. This adjustability comes at zero extra cost.

Nick

I am a proponent of allowing the shoulder straps to slide through the lower slots. It makes donning and doffing much easier and can eliminate the need for a crotch strap on some body types. I think I see a bend in the photo added to the two lower corners of the plate. Is that to hold the plate off the tank/wing so the webbing doesn’t get pinched?

BTW: I heard a rumor that you were working on an Omega III… hope it is true. I still use an original Omega as a primary and relegated an Atomic to secondary.

I was under the impression the bottom corner bends were to keep the plate from digging into your lower back (my Hollis AL has them too - though they look more pronounced on the new steel version). With a single tank, the bends are nowhere near close enough to touch the tank

CT Sean

I have never had the corners dig into my back so never considered it. Maybe I am not large enough for it to be an issue.

Nick

If that is the case, does the webbing in the lower slots bind between the wing/tank, especially on larger diameter double cylinders? I have seen some backplates rest on the cylinder tangents while others have the back plate channel bottom-out against the band plates that the bolts penetrate.

I have only ever used my Hollis plate so for all I know, those bends solve a problem that doesn't exist :)

Edit - for what it's worth, Halcyon puts the same corner bends in their plates

As for the lower corner bends, I have used both Dive Rite plate (without bend), Halcyon Plate (with bend). With minimum exporesure suit, Halcyon plate is more comfortable on land. The bends do what is designed to do.

Or you can add the Elite 2 Harness instead of continuous webbing. Hollis Gear: Elite 2

I have never liked the continuous webbing and when I inherited a SS plate from a buddy who went with an Aluminum Plate, I spoke with Mike at Hollis and he and I decided on this Harness! I LOVE IT! I have dove this Harness on multiple Cave and Wreck dives this year. It is easy to get in and out of because of the adjustments and harness "quick releases". Just my $.02 worth!:wink:

Bill Adams
Blue Dolphin Dive Center
Winston-Salem, NC

And what is the role of the two small holes at the waist slots?Or even secret or i was inattentive?

Nick:

I will be buying one SS BP soon. Do you know if the latest version is already available in Thailand?

Also, what are the two small holes between the waist slots for? Do you have an accessory coming out?

Chuta

Back
Top Bottom