Hong Kong diver dead in Indonesia.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with DevonDiver, the reports give us some risk factors for death: deep dives on air, solo diving without redundant air and deep spearfishing. The problem with doing deep dives and spearfishing is the latter is too much of a distraction along with the narcosis and the failure to keep a tab on rapidly depleting air.

Adam

4) Report mentions 'diving deeper than (30m) for which his gear had been designed'. I am not aware of any life-support scuba equipment that isn't designed for depths deeper than 30m. Cameras, housings have depth limits. Scuba equipment doesn't (within recreational - moderate technical ranges). This is complete nonsensical reporting. We might reasonably assume that the reporter is actually referring to the divers certification level (AOW?), rather than any tolerance of his equipment.

I wondered about this as well, and I thought that maybe he was using a tank with a EANx label and someone saw a sticker with, for example, 36% nitrox and a Maximum Operating Depth of 30 metres. Someone could take that as a limitation of the equipment.

Does that make sense?

I wondered about this as well, and I thought that maybe he was using a tank with a EANx label and someone saw a sticker with, for example, 36% nitrox and a Maximum Operating Depth of 30 metres. Someone could take that as a limitation of the equipment.

Does that make sense?

Absolute sense. Given the language barriers/translation - that could be a relevant point.

However, if he died from ox-tox, there'd be no direct explanation of why his tank had drained (if that did happen).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom