Hooded vest problem and hoods in general.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nick_L_

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I am a cold water diver and have done a few dives recently with a new hooded vest, but unfortunately had to take it off because it was choking me. I then decided just to use a hood and had the same problem. Both sizes where XL. Can anybody recommend anything? Would cutting a slit in the neck help?

Have you ever used a hood before? They are not always as comfortable as we would like and for many people it takes some getting used to.. Have you ever used a hood and been comfortable?

Hi,
I then decided just to use a hood and had the same problem. Both sizes where XL. Can anybody recommend anything?

XXL

I have used both a hooded vest and hood before with comfort. Unfounded have used both with comfort. I was using a new hood and hooded vest.

Hoods can be quite different in fit, even when they are the same size. I had a thick dry suit hood that was as comfortable as could be from the start. I ended up buying a new dry suit that came with a hood, and I sold the old one with the old dry suit. The new dry suit hood was supposedly custom made to my measurement. It turned out to be a horror. It was downright painful in the jaw area. I felt like my jaw would be dislocated if I ever finished the dive. I could not wear it. The place where I got it sent me a new one from the same company, built to the same head size specifications. It looked a little different. I was able to wear it right away, although it was still a bit uncomfortable in the jaw. It got a little better each time I wore it, and now it is quite comfortable.

I got a Santi suit where somehow the hood got attached. OGM, it was like that thread about suffocating in the dive shop. They took it back and the one without the hood is fine.

Some just don't work for some people, try another style and or size.

You want to watch out for constriction around the neck.

Heads very. I wear a L wetsuit (LS actually I am troll shaped) but I have to wear XL hoods. Big head.

I have both a hooded vest and a separate vest. As the previous divers wrote, they all fit differently; or, we all have different body types. You may have to try many before finding a system that works for you. I now rarely wear my hooded vest because I have a custom wetsuit which would make it a bit too snug if I wore the hooded vest underneath. Instead, I wear a separate hood. I got one on sale for next to nothing and it works but is a bit too big.

GJS

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom