how are quarries filled?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

when you are not in a desertic or mountainous area, ground water is never far below.

Rimp:
In BC I dive in an ocean teaming with more life than i can ever hope to have the pleasure to explore, and oceans deeper than I could ever hope to go..
I found an ocean somewhat similar to that near Virginia.
Rimp:
It seems hard to believe that people would want to dive in a man made pit full of rain water.
I suppose someone with no imagination would find it hard to believe.
Rimp:
Why do you dive in there?
Some like to bring the family along and make a day or a weekend of it. Having grilled burgers with the wife and kids on your surface interval has some advantages.

I like quarries for training dives since they are nearly weather proof. That makes a difference when it takes a while to gather busy people for a dive. It is hard enough to do once without repeating the process through a few blowouts.
Rimp:
What is the purpose of it?
See above
Rimp:
Is there anything in there besides water and mud?
Normally. Nature does not often leave a vacuum.

As trolls go, this is pretty poor.

bubble blower:
Not real sure where to post this...I was wondering how quarries get filled with water. Is it from digging until water is hit and the quarry fills or is this a process done by man after the mining is done? Just curious.
Thanks for any insight.
They quarry until the material they are after runs out, the operation becomes unprofitable, or the pumps can no longer keep up with the groundwater.

Rain is usually a secondary source of water.

ScubaHawk:
You know you are a Midwest Muck Diver when you drive around to working quarries and ask "Finished Yet? How about a ledge there and a nice wall over here?"
Lol, every time I drive by a local quarry, I'm thinking exactly that!

They quarry until the material they are after runs out, the operation becomes unprofitable, or the pumps can no longer keep up with the groundwater.
Thanks to all for the responses. I was pretty sure that's how it all happened. There usually seems to be a lot of pipes leading out of the quarries (which I assumed were left from the pumping days). Again, thanks everyone.

getwet2:
I think it's more fun to get a bunch of people together at night, grab some fire wood (picnic tables will work in a pinch), a car with a good sound system and of course a good selection of music, :bang: Pink Floyd, Lenny, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Bad Company, etc. (tastes vary) and a whole bunch of :beer: BEER, by the time morning comes the quarry should be just about full. :wave-smil If not, repeat the above until it is.
Is this why many of the photos i see taken in quarries have a green tinge to the water?? :wink:

Hopefully going to hit a quarry finally in november, leave the caverns and SE coasts alone for a weekend!

One of the quarries we have here - and it's the most famous among divers - started in a funny way. The company that was exploiting the quarry bankrupted. So the power plant switched off the power. As a result the pomps stopped working and instead of a quarry now we have the diving spot. The funniest thing is that uw there are all these huge machines (caterpillars ones) that are used in the quarry. The gossips are that the company was quite happy to have everything flooded - in this way they got quite a decent insurance.....
The place is great - not very deep, warm water, limestone walls and different machines, bridges and a lot of interesting staff.
Mania

ScubaHawk:
You know you are a Midwest Muck Diver when you drive around to working quarries and ask "Finished Yet? How about a ledge there and a nice wall over here?"

You know you are a diver when you see a ship and your first thought is how you could sink it to make a cool wreck.
Of course, don't think it out loud or John Ashcroft may want to talk to you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom