How come BP/W cost $600+

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba_moron:
What is the comfort level when wearing a blackplate with straps on bare skin on land, say walking to a beach dive.

Walking in a BP&W without a wetsuit for padding not comfortable at all. The straps will dig in and it will be to painful to walk any distance, especially after you've been in the water awhile. I always wear something just for padding to prevent chaffing.

Years ago, this question was asked on Rodale's, and I was the only dissenter. When the poster came back from vacation with his new BP&W, he was upset that everyone told him that he could wear a plate with no suit.

Even a 1/2mm would probably be comfortable, but I think you'll find that you have to wear something.

scuba_moron:
Yup, it's an Halcyon Eclipse priced at $675. Am I just paying for the name, or are there comparable products for less?

Don't get me wrong the Eclipse is a BEAUTIFUL setup...but the DSS and OMS rigs are good kits.

Cheers.

-J.-

scuba_moron:
What is the comfort level when wearing a blackplate with straps on bare skin on land, say walking to a beach dive.

Should I stick with my Balance for now as I don't intend on technical diving? My main goal is to seamline my BC a bit more.

Thanks again,

Planning on taking some long romantic walks on the beach wearing your BP/W? Worried that you won't be as comfy as with the padded BC?

You really should buy dive equipment for the way it works while diving!

Since you own the Balance, I'd dive with it for a while, since thousands of other divers have enjoyed using that BC, I'm sure you can as well. (If you have the option to return it, I guess that's different) After you have some experience and feel like you're doing well with buoyancy control, you might try to borrow a BP/W set up, and see if the difference is worth spending the money for you.

In terms of value, as far as new stuff goes, maybe the hammerhead plate/hog harness/oxycheq wing is about the cheapest high quality stuff you'll find. The $399 NESS special is basically a dive-rite set up but you still have to buy the cam straps. The $445 DSS rig is complete and very tough to beat from a price/quality point of view.

How about the brand new Oxycheq wing? Its list price is $550 as I recall....

Hoosier:
How about the brand new Oxycheq wing? Its list price is $550 as I recall....

...well, just received my Oxycheq 55 lbs / dual bladder / Vertex / donut wing last week.....not cheap @ $ 700 ....... YIKES ! ...but it appears to be a very high quality item...I installed it on my harness the other day and will dive it the 1st time this coming Labor Day at the Texas Flower Gardens.

Karl

scubafanatic:
...well, just received my Oxycheq 55 lbs / dual bladder / Vertex / donut wing last week.....not cheap @ $ 700 ....... YIKES ! ...but it appears to be a very high quality item...I installed it on my harness the other day and will dive it the 1st time this coming Labor Day at the Texas Flower Gardens.

Karl

I am sure that the quality must be good though. $700 is only for a wing. No way.

Based on my observation in this industry, the tech divers are just regarded as someone who has a disposable money to the manufactures. Once one brand jacks up the price, the competitors love to hear that...:no

My single tank rig loads up like this-

Dive Rite SS BP $65.00
Dive Rite Hog harness with proper d-rings and buckle $35.00
DSS serrated tri-glides $3.00
Oxycheq Mach-V 30# wing $340.00
Dive Rite STA $45.00

$488.00 bucks give or take a few dollars.

Hoosier:
I am sure that the quality must be good though. $700 is only for a wing. No way.

Based on my observation in this industry, the tech divers are just regarded as someone who has a disposable money to the manufactures. Once one brand jacks up the price, the competitors love to hear that...:no

...well, yeah, it is kinda spendy....but that's the going rate for such items...... remember, it's a dual bladder wing, with 2 inflator mechanisms...also, it's made from Oxycheq's new "Extreme" fabric...... which is incredibly tough...and included 2 LP hoses too...so it has a lot of added 'content' and features..... so it's no more expensive than comparable products from other high-end manufacturers...moreover, nobody else produces wings made from "Extreme" material.

Karl

P.S. ..... I thought about upgrading my old backup Zeagle Ranger BC with the 'Little Bertha' 55 lbs dual wing as well, and the price on one of those is $ 500 ish, so I doubt I'll do that......and that wing doesn't come close to the quality/features of the Oxycheq wing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom