• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

How do I clean my disgusting mouldy snorkel?

Discussion in 'Fins, Masks and Snorkels' started by LadyP, Feb 11, 2007.

1. LadyP

LadyP Angel Fish

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    Not very nice but I've managed to get my snorkel a bit on the mouldy side but not sure what to use to clean it. I know the mould removers you use in the shower are pretty fierce so don't want to use one of those. Any ideas out there as it's quite a posh snorkel so I don't want to buy a new one.

Cheers

Lady P

2. do it easy

do it easy Assistant Instructor

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Maybe you could dunk it in a MILD bleach solution? Be sure to let it dry between dive trips. The silicone tends to yellow with age, regardless of what you do to it, so it won't stay brand new looking forever.

3. justleesa

justleesa Neither here nor there ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives:
    Soak it in bleach/water, maybe use one of those flexible bottle brushes to scrub a bit. Then a good water rinse should do the trick.

4. drdiver1952

drdiver1952 Solo Diver

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    The mild bleach solution cleaning with a bottle brush are good approaches. I would clean the snorkel first the bottle brush using a mild dishwashing detergent like Dawn. Rinse the snorkel thoroughly and then soak for 30 minutes in a solution of bleach prepared as follows 1 tbsp of 5% household bleach mixed well in per gallon of cold water. Prolonged contact with the bleach solution is necessary to kill the mold.

5. scubamax

scubamax Solo Diver

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I have had similar problems with masks, being in a humid environment they never really dry out to the point that mould cannot grow..Although a lot of people say never to use bleach, because it can damage the silicone, I found that a diluted solution of softscrub with bleach (or just diluted bleach) works great.

6. drbill

drbill The Lorax for the Kelp Forest

# of Dives:
    Know the humidity in your part of the country is a real problem. Glad I live in a dry climate. Since I don't use a snorkel while diving, mine stays showroom clean in my dive locker.

To avoid a caustic cleaner, perhaps Simple Green might work if used with a bottle brush or pulling a rag through it if that is possible. A soak in mild bleach afterwards.

7. CAPT HOOK

CAPT HOOK Manta Ray

"Any ideas out there as it's quite a posh snorkel so I don't want to buy a new one"

Come on!!!!!!!!!

8. Cacia

Cacia Divemaster

Use the peroxide mouthwash by Crest or Listerine...it will bubble away.

This is why I use black stuff....can't see the crud!

9. spectrum

spectrum Dive Bum Wannabe ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    On a lot of models the the flex hose will actually pop right off the upper and lower hard sections. If it's stiff warm it in hot tap water. Taking it apart might let you get in and brush it out better. The bleach solution should be the ticket. The chlorine should evaporate but if it bothers you finish with a mouthwash rinse.

My Mojave is so supple that I put zip ties on the flex hose and mouthpieces of ours. My wifes mouthpiece popped and was lost one time.

Pete

10. Diving Doc

Diving Doc Dive Shop

Weak solution of milton for me...u know the stuff they use to disinfect baby bottles