How do I free up a Zipper 'frozen' or salt embedded?

Discussion in 'Gear Bags and Cases' started by dmj5393, Oct 27, 2009.

1. dmj5393

dmj5393 Angel Fish

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Can anyone give me advice on how to free up a metal zipper on plastic on my regulator bag that must have salt. Have a possible buyer for gear & hate to cut the bag...

Thanks, :depressed:

2. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve Wow.....what a DB

Soak it in (luke) warm fresh water for a while and that should dissolve the salt particles. Then slowly work the zipper until totally free. At least I think that will help. Worked on my boots.

3. mustang_5l

mustang_5l DIR Practitioner

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
  4. Walter

Walter Scuba Instructor

Warm water. If that doesn't do it, try vinegar. WD40 will gum it up worse.

5. muddiver

muddiver Divemaster

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Also, if it is a plastic zipper WD-40 will distroy the zipper.

6. ibj40

ibj40 Divemaster

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    I use an old toothbrush and warm water, and just gently brush along the zipper and occassionally try to make it work. The bristles from the toothbrush should help to dislodge and agitate the salt crystals, as well as controlling the amount of water you are applying.

7. Teamcasa

Teamcasa Sr. Moderator Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

Toss it into a tub of hot water today. Work the zipper loose tomorrow.

8. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve Wow.....what a DB

Is the Reg in the bag and you cannot get at it as is? I personally woul err on the side of caution and not apply hot water to it if the reg is still in the bag. Can anybody say if hot (versus warm) water can do any damage to a Reg (obviously the two terms are very subjective)?

9. Bob3

Bob3 Dive Shop

BINGO! We have a winner. :eyebrow:

10. dmj5393

dmj5393 Angel Fish

Thanks everyone. :cool2:
    The reg, spare, SPG, compass & computer are in the 'frozen' bag. I tried soaking but it was cold water. I will try warm water, vinegar & tooth brush. If that fails, I'll cut open the bag. Dive shop said they're only $20 to replace.

11. herman

herman Divemaster

Problem is you have aluminum corrosion inside the zipper slide. A good soaking in a warm water and vinegar solution will do the trick. As soon as you can get it to move just a little, work it back and forth, flushing it out as you go. The vinegar will not hurt the reg, that is what a lot of us clean them in, just be sure to rinse it and the bag well once you get it free. I lube the zippers with silicone grease. Yea I know it will hold grit but IMO that is better than the zippper slide seizing up again.

hmarashi and Krazytomdiver like this.
  12. dmj5393

dmj5393 Angel Fish

Praise the Lord~! After the warm water, vinegar & tooth brush, our son-in-law was here the next day & he worked with the track (not the zipper) and FREED it up. Now I've washed the bag & it is thoroughly drying. I'll put lubricant on the tracks before closing it. Thank you one & all.

13. Jim Ernst

Jim Ernst Scuba Instructor

# of Dives:

Yup... I 2nd walters method, And if that doesen't do it , warm water with Baking soda works well!

14. peterbj7

peterbj7 Dive Shop Owner

# of Dives:
    I was in the US recently staying with a diver friend, and he brushed a proprietary liquid on a seized zipper. Next day it was free. But he's gone travelling and I can't ask him what it was. Not everything with a zipper is suitable for soaking, and this liquid worked wonderfully.

Does anyone have any idea what it might have been?