How Do These Bungees Secure The Tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MyronGanes

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
New to sidemount, purchased my first rig, Hollis SMS75.

How do these particular bungees go around the valve? Does anyone have pictures? Thanks

L9khvIs.jpg

oYT6pQC.jpg

5Q2t7wk.jpg

Recommend you take a sidemount class with an experienced instructor. There is no one way to do anything in sidemount, including how to use the bungees, and you may as well not laboriously reinvent square wheels; better (and probably cheaper) to efficiently find out the pros and cons of various methods. One session poolside and in a pool with a good instructor can replace -- and exceed -- many many uncomfortable, frustrating dives.

these are designed to have the loop go over the post on the end of the valve. You can also put them on the valve knob itself, however I don't prefer that.

what tursiops said though, you need to take a class or find a mentor...

I will be taking a course, but they aren't offered until may where I am. So until then I'm going to mess around with my gear in my pool and do a little self teaching.

I still need to figure out what the methods are of attaching dump-able weights to the BCD

Thanks for the help!

no need for ditchable weights. if you need to ditch, use a weight belt, but it isn't necessary. I would recommend waiting until the course to prevent the development of bad habits

I was taught to put them over the valve handle; I have not tried it over the valve post.

Make sure you take your class from someone who knows that rig. I know someone who bought an SMS 75 and then took a class from someone who was used to a very different kind of rig. The guy took out a razor knife and sliced and diced it t make it look as much like the rig he was used to as he could. Now that person has a rig that is somewhere between the two designs.

...Of course, neither is what the OP has....
Of course that is a loop bungee.
Not an optimal attachment method, but still a simple loop bungee.
And Yes, I would seriously consider improving that attachment, but it is not a requirement for using it.

I have that rig and was taught loop over valve handle too.

And I agree. Unless you plan to do it all yourself, wait for your class. Too many different ways to set up and order for donning and too easy to get confused if you practice different, at least for me. I am sure your instructor will want it done His or Her way. After the class is the time to start playing around and work out what's best for you.

But then again, if I had my rig before class, I probably would have messed around with it too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom