How do you get the smell out of sea shells?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll point her to this thread and have her read the suggestions and comments.

I'll have to put my foot down though and tell her that she has to work outside if she decides to go with the napalm suggestion! :11:

I knew I'd find good info here!

Thank you all.

Christian

After Cleaning..restoring luster is easy with Mineral Oil or Baby Oil..They look Great..

Here is something that works on just about everything (even skunk spray...don't ask).

1 quart of 3 % hydrogen peroxide (the stuff ya buy at walmart)

1 cup baking soda

1 teaspoon liquid dishwashing soap

Mix together & use immediately. It WILL NOT keep.

James
How long will i have to soaked them in?

Generally the smell -odor - emitting from a sea shell is from micro and macroscopic animals living on or with in the sea shell.

To eliminate the animal residue it is suggested that the entire sea shell be immersed in a dilute solution of "Hexsol" germicidal soap (or any brand of Germicidal Soap)in a sealed container (glass jar) set aside for several weeks.to several months

Depending on the amount of residual tissue it may be necessary and certainly appropriate to change the solution several times during the process --

When the odor is eliminated remove shell very thoroughly wash and allow to dry in a cool dark place.

Coating
Never coat with varnish or any permanent substance
Never coat with baby oil-- the shell becomes a dust magnet

Coat with hair spry - cheaper the better - glossy or dull finish- when shell becomes dusty just wash and repeat the process

hope this saves the marriage

Sam Miller,III

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom