How do you keep your console/spg accessible and out of the way?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have an air2 so I don't have the regular octo hose on the right side. I mounted my console on the right side. It goes under my arm and connects to a retractor on my left chest. This way my console sits flat against my chest while swimming. I can then pull it out slightly to check air etc. On ascent I can easily hold the computer/console in my right hand while I have the deflator in the left hand.

6 inch bungee bolt snapped to left shoulder D ring. Works slick with 3 bay inline consoles.

Get the 36 inch HP hose if you will be navigating with a console mounted compass.

Pete

Right now I'm on a wrist mounted non-AI computer, but I'm thinking I'm going to go for an Oceanic D1 soon or something comparable, then keep a regular HOG SPG as backup, and retractor, slate, or wrist mount a compass. It really is ALL ABOUT being streamlined, for all anyone else cares, you can wrap it under your shoulder strap 3 times (not recommended). It's YOURS, so just do whatever you need to do to keep it out of the way. It isn't an octo where it needs to be readily accessible- it only needs to be there

6 inch bungee bolt snapped to left shoulder D ring. Works slick with 3 bay inline consoles.

This seems like one of the best ideas yet for those wanting to keep a console. Bungee stretched to a dring will keep it nice and snug.

This seems like one of the best ideas yet for those wanting to keep a console. Bungee stretched to a dring will keep it nice and snug.

This sounds like the easiest thing to try without buying more expensive equipment. I can't get a shorter hose, because I have my compass on the console. But I can try different ways of attaching it with a bungee.

I do wish I had a wrist mounted compass instead of an SPG mounted one. Then I would only need the SPG for pressure readings, since I have a wrist mounted computer for depth readings.

Someday I would like an air integrated computer, but not for a while. Maybe it will be my 100th dive present to myself. Then I could get rid of the console.

In dive training magazine, there was a letter to the editor where someone said that routing the console hose across your body could cause a problem in a rescue situation. Anyone have any idea what that person was talking about? They didn't elaborate.

DukeAMO - which compass (or console) do you have?

Many have OEM & aftermarket wrist mounts available. Example I have a Suunto and my gf has a Scubapro, both are mounted in DSS mounts with bungees, and neither are remotely expensive.

Both the console and your SPG can be removed from that console. Doing so would allow you to use a shorter HP hose and attach to your BDC with a simple bolt snap while diving.

In dive training magazine, there was a letter to the editor where someone said that routing the console hose across your body could cause a problem in a rescue situation. Anyone have any idea what that person was talking about? They didn't elaborate.

In a rescue situation where the BC needs to be removed, routing the console across the body creates one more item that needs to be un-clipped and removed in the process. If the console is clipped off on the same side, it likely does not need to be removed to get a victim out of their gear.

+1 use a boltsnap to attach my spg to the BCD

+1 bolt snap to left chest Dring. I can usually just glance down to check it.

Hey all,

How do you keep your console/spg in a place where you can get to it easily, but it's still not dangling?

I hate clipping it to the BC with a plastic clip on the SPG's hose, because the clip either falls off, or it's too hard to clip/unclip.

I tried a yo-yo clip where it remains attached at my (left) hip, and I can pull it up to check it, and it retracts itself. This is easy and convenient, but it hangs down a few inches.

Are there better ideas?

I use a quick-release clip. I have one end attached to my SPG and the other end cliped via a snap-hook to the D-ring on my right-side harness strap at about chest height. This lets the SPG rest right in middle upper-belly, making it easy to read at-a-glance, easy to find, and keeps the slack close to the body. I know some might take issue with having something clipped across the chest, but the quick release clip (not the snap-hook) is front-n-center and very accessible and easy to unclip with one pinch. I do not like retractors or having it on my side with the hose all loose and hanging out.

Last edited:
+1 bolt snap to left chest Dring. I can usually just glance down to check it.

+1 for a similar approach here, with hose under left arm, across chest, and bolt snap to right chest Dring. Keeps it nice and snug against my body and looking down is all I need to do unless I want to use the compass; gas switching can be done without moving the Cobalt.

If I'm diving a SPG it goes on the left hip Dring (and the Cobalt may wind up there too once I get the right length hose).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom