How do you keep your console/spg accessible and out of the way?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I had a console, I used a bolt snap on a bungee to clip it to the lower left chest ring on my BDC. The snap stays in place until it's time to remove the reg set from the tank. There is no need to unclip when doning/doffing the BCD whether under, on or out of the water. When the console broke I replaced it with a simple pressure gauge, secured the same way. Plastic clips are trash. Use a stainless steel bolt snap.

BTW I bought the 2 regs + one 1st stage + console set as a new diver. In retrospect I would never again buy a console, just the pressure gauge. You miss nothing by not having the kind of cheapo depth gauge consoles typically feature, and it's a really inconvenient location for a compass.

I run it under my arm and boltsnap it to an attachment point on my BC. I can unsnap it fairly easily to check it but most of the time I can simply rotate it up a bit and see it without unclipping it. It's just the SPG, btw. Computer (and compass when needed) are wrist-mounted.

I use one of those small elasticized tags to hold a small aluminum carabiner to my spg hose then clip the carabiner to BCD - D ring. Works really well, easy to clip and unclip with 7mm wetsuit gloves and because it's aluminum it never rusts

I generally hold my AI computer in my left hand, clasp right hand over left in front of me or together directly under my belly. This will accomplish two things for a newer diver; (1) keeps computer/console handy while assuming a well trimmed dive position (2) helps newer divers to learn not to swim with their hands.

If I need to use my hands for other tasks, I'll let go of the console. If I'm too close to the reef/bottom I'll tuck it between my butt and tank so it doesn't dangle.

Overly simple solution for recreational diving.

I wear an air trim BCD, so my inflator hose goes thorugh a little through pocket on the left side of my BCD, and clips on to the air trim device right about where my SPG should be. I use cable ties (with a piece of rubber to protect the hoses) to die my inflator hose to my spg hose. The SPG sticks out just a little bit from my airtrim buttons.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom