How do you not breath in water with a snorkel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snorkler

Registered
Reaction score
when you're breathing with a snorkel how do you make sure that some water doesn't enter your lungs, there's no way of knowing if a bit of water has splashed into the snorkel, and then you choke. I've read a book which talks about "snorkel tension" but doesn't really explain, tried googling but couldn't find anything explanatory.

I always try to breath cautiously with my snorkel. I have a tendency to do hard exhales just to try to purge before every breath. It's never guaranteed but better than not doing anything. Also, it depends on the snorkel you have.

My little brother use to practice with his snorkel in the bath tub. He spent an unusual amount of time as a child in the tub. Many practice in a swimming pool, pond, lake, river, ocean, etc. It is a different breed of snorkeler that learns from a book or on-line.

I use a semi-dry snorkel. I have not gagged even in rough ocean conditions as long as I have the snorkel in my mouth. There is more of a chance of inhaling water when talking to others when in rough windy conditions while snorkeling. Take a look at LeisurePro for ideas on snorkels. I use an Aqua Lung Impulse 3 and also a TUSA Platina 2. Very dry breathing snorkels.

If the snorkel is "full" of water I do not inhale. If there is some water inside, the semi-dry will drain and will not enter your mouth. I rarely get any salt water in my mouth using a semi-dry.

May be best to get a snorkel and practice. Have Fun! Welcome to SCUBABoard!

Last edited:
You know how you drink water from a water fountain? that is how you do it. To slurp up water from the water fountain, you are actually inhaling and at the same time filling your mouth. You have leaned to inhale slowly and in a controlled manner and hold water in your mouth and somehow put dry air in your lungs (before you swallow).

Using a snorkel is not much different... you need to start the inhalation slowly and if you feel, hear, sense, water gurgling in the snorkel then you must use your mouth as a splash guard and inhale very slowly and gently, so that you can get enouh air to blast out the snorkel.

To do this, you must be calm and not sucking air super hard.. inhale slowly and carefully and exhale as hard as you want.. 3 yr olds learn it, it just takes preactice.

A couple of tips:
1. To avoid inhaling water on a snorkle, use your tongue as a splash guard. Put the tip of your tongue to the roof of your mouth before inhaling. Should any water come in, it wll be in the space under your tongue rather than down your throat. You can blow the water out through the snorkle on your next exhale.
2. Careful of the positioning of the snorkle on your mask. Some put it too far back on the strap and it doesn't achieve full height out of the water.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom