How does a diver get left behind?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've dived on the Spree and on a boat of the company that is responsible for the existence of this thread. Let's say the whole sign-in, credential verification and post dive count seemed far more 'relaxed' and 'flexible' than the Spree. And I'm unconvinced that that is a good place for relaxation or flexibility.

Reactions: Jax
Wookie--OK, my boat dives (very rare) usually involve 4-8 divers on board. So maybe I'm not the best guy to reply. But I can't imagine a boat (Captain) leaving anyone behind unless another diver who surfaced was in danger of dying unless transported now. If someone is missing and there is no emergency, what's to stop you from searching continuously until it's time to call in the Coast Guard?

It isn't that they make a conscious decision to leave them behind, it's that they don't effectively verify that everyone who got on the boat at the start of the trip is still on the boat after each dive is done.

Trace, thanks for the kind words about diving the St Lawrence. We think we have some pretty good diving as well. Your response to the inflatable is right on as well. For the number of times a diver ends up in the channel, it is faster, easier and safer to move our boat into the channel and grab them, rather than trying to haul a little inflatable around. Our captains are pretty good at getting the boat to a diver, and swinging it around so they can grab the ladders. If need you grab the ladder, and I will tell you to hang on and we will just pull you out of the channel at low speed if needed to get out of the way and get the dive to safety. Thank you for waiting until the crew tells you to swim out, as a crew member that is appreciated.

Yes. I forgot to mention the point about how if anyone does surface in the channel they need to be picked up immediately and that it would slow the process of getting the diver out of harm's way and that you guys do occasionally maneuver with a diver on the ladder. PM me if you'd like about which op you work for. I normally dive with Underwhere? or Abucs.

Wookie

I have never used your boat before, but I have used one of your competitors out of Freeport. They had a tag system. they put a tag on your gear for the trip. that tag is logged in and out of the water. when it is time to move the boat there is a roll call. Each has to answer for then selves. Any one in the head at that time is a hold up for the roll call. When all is accounted for by visual count the boat moves. It is hard to imagine how some one can be left behind if a boat has any kind of functional system.

I called out the captain of a boat I was on when I looked over at the tag in out system and there was still a tag in the water side. I got a blank look and a "well I saw him go below" so thank you Capt Frank for taking your Job as seriously as it needs to be.

That said I was left once in Mexico when a diver got caught in the current and swept across the bay, when we got back to the anchor all we found was a cherry ball with the mate trying to climb onto it Our Spanish wasnt good enough to understand his Spanish trying to explain that the boat will be back and he cant swim.

The boat did come back and we had the captain explain to his mate that treading water was swimming.

I almost forgot about being left behind - twice.

The first time my buddy and I were diving from a 16 foot bowrider on the wreck of the Robert Gaskin in 60 - 70 feet of water right off Centeen Park in Brockville, Ontario. We left a husband and wife couple from Russia on board who didn't dive to make sure the boat was safe and secure while we were underwater. While underwater we heard and felt a big freighter pass by. Our intestines and teeth were vibrating! After an hour or so we surfaced to see the boat gone. "Hey man, you don't suppose the freighter could have swamped the boat do you?" We last saw it tied to the bow mooring and the bow mooring was still floating there ... as was the stern mooring. Didn't sink anyway. We hung out for an hour on a gorgeous sunny day. My buddy asked, "Well, what do you want to do?" I suggested we swim to shore. There's a line that runs to shore that's tied in near the Gaskin, but not to it. It's within sight of a nearby sunken motor boat. It takes about 20 minutes to swim to the wreck from shore, but only about 10 minutes to go back. I said that we could leave our gear at Brockville Adventure Center, ask Helen if we could grab a couple of T-shirts, borrow money for food, and report our boat missing. Just as we were about to try that plan. We saw our boat coming toward us from the lake side near the center of town. The freighter scared them so they thought they'd go pleasure boating and come back for us!

The second time was absolutely my fault. Three of us left Chippewa Bay in the same 16 foot bowrider. I stayed in the boat while the other two guys dove the wreck of the Keystorm in 115 feet of water. We had really inclement weather, cold, pouring rain. With all of the water coming down no one noticed that we had a leak coming through the stern drain plug. When the team returned one of the divers was using sidemount and had difficulty unclipping his bottles and got his rig caught on the motor. I was at the ladder to help him and it looked like we had too much weight in the stern because the boat seemed to be sinking. I moved forward once he was unfouled and things looked better. But once the third guy boarded we knew something wasn't right. I started the motor and the bilge pump. The third diver to board was also the owner and was checking the craft over while I was slipping into my doubles to dive. We heard him shout, "Guys! We're going down! We need to get weight off the boat." I grabbed my buddy's fins since they were handy and rolled into the water just as the boat looked like it was going to capsize. They quickly got it on plane and circled the area to get the water out. Things looked good (yeah, right, like there was a reason she almost sank) so we decided I'd go diving. After exploring from bow to stern reaching the prop at 115 feet and returning there was no boat at any of the three moorings. I checked my gas and decided to dive the wreck staying shallower. The bow was at 20 feet so there was lots of wreck 50 feet and up. I returned from that cruise and saw there was still no boat anywhere. I decided ... yeah, I know ... genius move, huh? ... to dive a while longer and explore the shoal alongside the wreck. Returning yet again ... no boat. I deployed an orange DSMB and surfaced to see the surface empty of any boat or watercraft. I decided to stay put and hold to the mooring figuring they'd be back or another boat would show. Ryan, one of the captains for Underwhere? Charters, had been onsite earlier but had departed before my friends surfaced. Even though it was late Fall I figured that another Canadian boat would arrive. Nothing for 3 hours. I tried to signal a couple passing freighters hoping they see me and radio the USCG to no avail. A tour boat that was making its way to Singer Castle spotted me and changed course sounding the horn to let me know help was on the way. As I watched it approach in the distance making a bee-line for me, I saw another craft overtake it. My buddies!!! They arrived and picked me up as the tour boat sounded that it was breaking off the rescue and swung back toward the castle. Turns out the motor flooded and they drifted down river and managed to reach an island where they fixed the issue. Being surrounded by islands rather than being "at sea" makes things seem deceptively less dangerous in "the river." Lesson learned.

Make that 3 times ... I was left on a mooring on the Speigel Grove while the boat went to pick up a missing diver. It took them so long that another boat showed up, dropped their recreational divers, picked them up and my boat finally returned. I know that really doesn't count because they knew where they left me, but It was so funny when the other dive boat showed up. They were surprised to see a diver in doubles alone on a ball. "Are you okay?"

"I'm great! Thanks."

Make that 3 times ... They were surprised to see a diver in doubles alone on a ball. "Are you okay?"

"I'm great! Thanks."

It sounds like you are just unlucky. I would have looked at them and asked if they had an extra drain plug since you needed one for your boat. The look they would give you would have been priceless.

It sounds like you are just unlucky. I would have looked at them and asked if they had an extra drain plug since you needed one for your boat. The look they would give you would have been priceless.

LOL! That would have been hilarious! I had once worked as an instructor for the operator that left me hanging on the ball. The captain knew me well and knew I don't mind being alone in a big ocean. Turned out the tech diver they recovered miles away was still under his DSMB when the reached him and they had to wait for him to surface.

Back
Top Bottom