How Does Roatan and CCV Compare?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KathyV

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi, I started the thread below in the Cayman Islands forum because it is frequently stated that Cayman is an expensive dive destination and Roatan is an economy destination. I have dived both Roatan and Cayman (and I liked them both) and I maintain that although Cayman is very pricey - it is possible, without too much difficulty, to mitigate some of the expenses and have a good dive vacation that won't break the bank.

I tried to compare the prices of a dive vacation on Roatan and Grand Cayman and I selected Coco View and Cobalt Coast as the subjects for the comparison. I have never stayed in either resort but I am slightly familiar with both of them and I think that they are well-matched for comparison.

I have heard comments from some members that frequent the Cayman board and I would also like to hear the opinions of the Roatan board fans. So please review the thread below and share your experiences and opinions, thanks!

Is It Possible to Dive Grand Cayman on a Budget?

I read your original thread as referenced.

I believe Tridanca and Large Diver gave you cogent responses.

Cobalt Coast Cayman or Coco View Roatan?

Otherwise, and unfortunately, you got a number of "I haven't been to that specific resort" type answers, including a whole lot of exhortations for other choices.

Your other thread opened up some interesting side questions, I'll address a couple.

Driving: If you feel comfortable driving on the wrong side of the road, feel free to drive on Cayman. I myself have no issues driving even right handed stick, so my only concern is the character of the roads and drivers- of which Cayman passes my stink test. Roatan does not. Roatan is left hand drive, but everything else presented is pure jabberwocky. Crappy roads; crappy rental vehicles; no lights; no guard rails; $300 dogs wandering all over; no real enforcement, adherence to, or understanding of driving laws; no Emergency Response; no Trauma Center; byzantine legal system that is designed to ensnare comparatively filthy rich North Americans.

There are many many glowing reports of renting scooters or cars and having reported great excursions on Roatan. It's all a matter of "the odds". Chances are, you will have a positive experience. If anything should happen, if you wind up in that very unlucky minority of those who get caught up in a property or personal injury issue, you will regret your "exploring adventure" fantasy forever. Roatan Honduras by the nature of it's legal system is designed to suck you dry. Roll the dice, but also see Roatan's easy and cheap option of hiring an English speaking driver for the day.

That's the real answer.

Bugs/Insects/Mosquitos: It was mentioned that Cayman has a mosquito eradication program. This comes from tax money and an operational government (something Roatan does not have). Cayman implements this program with obvious but somewhat costly methodology of standing water abatement through zoning enforcement, combined with chemical applications. This chemistry is washed downhill to the reef with run-off, but they have contained their mosquito problem effectively.

When this discussion then centers on Roatan, it must be remembered that you asked specifically about Coco View. What Is there is not what you will find anywhere else. I am not going to again after many times re-explain the micro geography of Roatan, but I'll describe CCV's unique location on the island. CCV lies on a private cay off the South side of Roatan. Prevailing breezes are ESE, they can be depended upon to run from 4-8 mph most times of the year. This alone makes flying insects disappear. The local vegetation is deeply pruned back. There is no standing water, no rotting vegetation, troughs, ponds, rain barrels, and the ground is 20" hard sand over iron shore that quickly drains off.

The main problem in Roatan is the Sand Fleas (no see-ums, sand flies, etc). These insects are found all over Florida, Bahamas and Caribbean, but I do believe the Bay Islands has the very best Sand Flies. There is much written about this, so no need to digress here. Suffice to say, the serendipity of CCV's location also affects the behavior and range of Sand Flies. CCV is absolutely unique in terms of it's geography, bugs there are reduced, no doubt in my mind.

But- you did ask about diving....

This is called SCUBA Board and as you mentioned, you had done some research on TWITadvisor

My experience with TA, at least in terms of SCUBA...it's really not all that useful, other than from the perspective of the cruise-ship diver, or that vacationer who also does some diving.

There are many people on SB that do weeklong vacations and are quite happy with logging ten dives. I can not speak to them. It is an industry belief that "vacation divers" do a current average of 5 dives during a week, but this number is skewed by the self-defining status of "I was on a dive vacation".

On Roatan, up until very recent years, almost every visitor was there on a "dive vacation". The great majority of visitors went and still lodge in the West End where local anecdotal evidence puts the raw number of dives per week in then neighborhood of 7 per visitor.

Coco View offers an easy 27 dives in a week. At this point, walking on land is problematic for me, but I can still get my 4x a day plus that night dive. Some may decry the shore dive as redundant, but if but not for my gimpiness, I would skip the boat dives and just do shore dives- it's that entertaining. It's just easier for me to do the boat dives, still getting 32+ hours/week underwater with a very shallow dive profile using plain old air.

I have not been to Cobalt Coast.

I have been to the Caymans (multiple week trips, land based) three times, 1972, 1982, 1992 (every ten years by coincidence), and several liveaboards. I watched the underwater scene degrade precipitously each decade. In 1992, even after diving the remote, exotic and fabled "no one dives here" places, I recognized that success had killed her. Believe it or not, in 1972 the caves in front of Georgetown were vibrant and alive.

At the time, I was hooked-up with various high maintenance girl friends that looked remarkable in Fathom wetsuits (of which two were Fathom models), and they did some photo shoot diving, but after the morning dives, go shopping, then at 3pm it was salon time, get glossy and go to Chef Tells Grand Old House. I had a revolving account at Bernie Pessman's Jewelry shop. Cayman was just perfect.

In 1984 I started diving Roatan with my first wife who had a good sense of adventure and didn't require "ancillary services". She enjoyed the DC3 arrival and the dirt roads, generators and stuff. Now Roatan has "developed somewhat"....and although the degradation of the fringing reef structure is now in full curve, the locale is not yet quite to the point of Cayman. It will be, soon enough. People write TA reports bitching about not being able to get Diet Pepsi, just Diet Coke. Yes, life in Roatan is third-world, Banana Republic type primitive and very rough. Maybe pick a different vacation?

Most divers out there universally simply do not have the skill sets to appreciate what Roatan's South Side has yet remaining to offer. If you have good close-up observational skills, perfected buoyancy, if you enjoy night diving, CCV's Roatan South side is perfect. It is shallow, vertical walls, facing into Southern Sunlight, and intact 140 wreck for a shore dive in 55fsw. It is little critter heaven.

Unfortunately, the majority of divers (those still diving after certification but before they drop out at dive #35) are still in search of Lobsters, Parrot Fish, Whale Sharks and Sharky-Sharks. They are in a hurry, physically and emotionally, Go-Pro in hand. They will likely think CCV sucks, probably even more than West End guest house options- at least at those you can go to 10 different bars.

So, CCV is prime for noob beginners, it is a swimming pool perfect for Certification and ease of dive conditions and perfect boats that are almost ADA Compliant. Advanced divers who have those honed observation skills, they love the place. It is micro/macro heaven.

Here, have a look: CoCoView Explained In Pictures by doc adelman

Last edited:
Thanks Doc, I haven't stayed at CC either. We first went to GC in the 80s I also remember when sites like Eden Rock and Devil's Grotto were spectacular. Now when we visit GC we stay away from Georgetown and 7MB and we mostly snorkel and shore dive. There's still some great diving off GC including the North Wall and the East End but it is not the way that it used to be.

I used CC for the comparison because GC is the most popular Cayman destination and CC offers a combo of boat and shore dives like CCV.

I don't use TA for dive vacation advice either but the forum can be helpful with hotels and excursions.

Have you tried the Cayman sister islands? Brac and Little are quiet, rural places without much development and the diving is really excellent but you won't get 4 dives a day, just 3 boat dives a day and a couple of night dives. But they are very good dives and the valet dive services offered by Reef Divers are great for those of us dealing with gimpiness.

Keep on diving!

Last edited:
Thanks Doc, I haven't stayed at CC either. We first went to GC in the 80s I also remember when sites like Eden Rock and Devil's Grotto were spectacular. Now when we visit GC we stay away from Georgetown and 7MB and we mostly snorkel and shore dive. There's still some great diving off GC including the North Wall and the East End but it is not the way that it used to be.

I used CC for the comparison because GC is the most popular Cayman destination and CC offers a combo of boat and shore dives like CCV.

I don't use TA for dive vacation advice either but the forum can be helpful with hotels and excursions.

Have you tried the Cayman sister islands? Brac and Little are quiet, rural places without much development and the diving is really excellent but you won't get 4 dives a day, just 3 boat dives a day and a couple of night dives. But they are very good dives and the valet dive services offered by Reef Divers are great for those of us dealing with gimpiness.

Keep on diving!
We stayed at CoCoView recently. Never again...

We previously stayed there about 20 years ago. Nothing much has changed. We also have stayed at AKR & FI several times each. Also about 15 to 20 years ago. We also did the last voyage of the Bay Islands Aggressor and got to see the scow rotting away in a harbour...

Mid week of our CoCoView trip I asked my divebuddy when we should next return to CoCoView. She said "just as soon as we forget". Sums it up for us.

The dive op was good. Well run. No real complaints. The "drop off dive" was a little lame. Short SI and the same site (well 2 different directions, so call it 2 sites). The swim out sucked. Shore dives were a real hassle compared to dock diving in Bonaire.

The food? Poor... If this was a restaurant in my home town I would never return.

That said: I highly recommend everyone to try it at least once. It was not terrible, it was also not great. We are at the stage were we want great, not just barely okay.

We stayed at CoCoView recently. Never again...

Glad I went once - I would always have wondered. Wish I had known - I would have saved a ton of money ($3800 before tips and travel for their least expensive room). I sent you a link by PM to my review.

Last edited:
We are at the stage were we want great, not just barely okay.

I remember your review; you also stayed at a luxury resort on Utila, if memory serves, and loved that, although it was indeed a luxury resort and cost a lot more. In contrast, while I've read a lot of praise of CocoView Resort elsewhere, I don't recall it ever being referred to as luxury.

To help others understand your frame of reference, and since you mentioned a common point of experience for many of us (shore diving Bonaire), where did you stay on Bonaire and what did you think of that?

Richard.

Glad I went once - I would always have wondered. Wish I had known - I would have saved a ton of money ($3800 before tips and travel for their least expensive room). I sent you a link by PM to my review.

What was it you didnt like about CCV? I am scheduled to go there next year and these are the first negative posts about the place that I can recall.

Doc, you slay me. You're so bad.

I don't disagree with you on the breeze or the sunny side. I do agree with others that the food is only adequate and for the money, the rooms could be better. Don't get all pisdy about that with me because as you know, I stay in a very inexpensive place in West End. And that said, my room is probably almost as nice as yours, lol. I do 3-5 dives a day and I enjoy the little stuff too or at least I did until I got "gimpy". But as you also know, I like to be able to get out and walk up or down the road. I'm entertained by the goings on in West End. There are some restaurants I like and some I don't but at least there's a choice to be had. Sunsets from Eagle Ray's terrace are awesome.

As for bugs, oh yeah . . .so bad, they can be so bad, so bad that I started having such serious reactions that I quit going to Roatan and I miss it.

...As for bugs, oh yeah . . .so bad, they can be so bad, so bad that I started having such serious reactions that I quit going to Roatan and I miss it.

Just a comment, I also react strongly to insect bites and of course the best thing to do is to take precautions to try and avoid bites - but that doesn't always work. I have found that Allegra Anti-Itch ointment works really well, at least for me, to reduce my reaction to insect bites, mostly mosquitos.

It isn't instantaneous, it takes 30 seconds or a minute to start to work but it lasts. In most cases the itching stops and the welts soon fade and disappear. Sometimes I need additional applications but not always. Give it a try and see if it works for you too.

We recently went to see the performance of Smokey Joe's Café, a musical review, and one of the songs was an oldie that I hadn't heard in years called "Poison Ivy". One of the lyrics really made me laugh, it went "I'm going to need an Ocean of Calamine lotion!"

Sometimes I've felt that way when still trying to deal with persistent reactions to bug bites that last for weeks and weeks. I am really happy that I discovered the Allegra ointment, it works for me and I am taking 2 tubes with me to Cayman - just in case!

Back
Top Bottom