How far is it from Lahaina to Kihei?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tim, I have to agree with DiveMaven. You're awesome! :D Thanks a bunch for all of your help. That goes for you too, DiveMaven.

Pacific Dive definitely sounds like the way to go. I'm sure I'll be contacting them in the next few days. The trip is still about seven weeks away but I'll let you all know how it went when we get back.

Mala wharf is a very cool site! Look for my light when you are there lost is some where on that dive! Have fun.

I have done the afternoon dive with Lahaina divers and would recommend it for a new boat diver.

[OK, Tim. When are you going to add a 3rd (or would it be 4th) job and start being the West Maui equivalent to Shaka Doug?

Okie --- Shaka Doug is the sort of guide you might look at using, but he's Kihei-based and I'm not sure he would come to Lahaina for you.[/QUOTE]]

Hey, I'd love to help you out but due to County of Maui Permit Regulations for us "Ocean Recreation Activities People", I can no longer take tourists to many of the great dive sites we have here. The ORAP permits only allow us to dive at sites that we have paid to dive at. Starting another "Shaka Divers style" operation on West Maui might sound like a good idea too but it is presently impossible to get a permit to do such a thing. Anyone taking out a tour for hire is required to have and display one of these permits. Mine is only good on the south side "because I live on the south side" (that's what the director told me). Dive tours from Mala Wharf are also a bit tricky. SCUBA from the boat launch is strictly forbidden and you will have to enter and exit from either side of the ramp to stay legal. The DLNR patrols that place fairly frequently so be careful of boat traffic and follow the rules and make sure you tow a dive flag!!!

Shaka - Makes me glad I'm just a hobbyist diver ... I don't like paperwork LOL ... but it sure is nice to know you are available in the Kihei area (wish you could branch out up north) helping so many folks have fun and see so much - you definitely fill a need here on Maui.

Aloha, Tim

Hey Shaka, I just checked out your web site and you guys sound like a great operation to dive with. Next time I'm in Maui and not chained to a cruise ship I'll definitely give you a call.

Shaka Doug:
Starting another "Shaka Divers style" operation on West Maui might sound like a good idea too but it is presently impossible to get a permit to do such a thing. Anyone taking out a tour for hire is required to have and display one of these permits. Mine is only good on the south side "because I live on the south side" (that's what the director told me). Dive tours from Mala Wharf are also a bit tricky. SCUBA from the boat launch is strictly forbidden and you will have to enter and exit from either side of the ramp to stay legal. The DLNR patrols that place fairly frequently so be careful of boat traffic and follow the rules and make sure you tow a dive flag!!!

So no new operations allowed on Maui now?

Kind of sounds that way Al. I have heard of a few "new people" but I don't know the status of their permits. Maybe they have had them for a while and I'm just hearing of them. As far as I know, there is no way to get an Ocean Recreation Activities Permit until maybe next year when the present permits expire. It's up to the Parks and Recreation Department and they are still undergoing growing pains from assuming jurisdiction of the whole permit process almost two years ago. There are Environmental Impact studies and other red tape that has been prolonging the whole situation.

Thanks Okie! Glad you liked my website and that the colors on it didn't burn your eyes out! (SB Inside Joke here). I had 6 dives this week already that have kicked butt. The water is super calm and clear right now and holding steady at 81 F!!! Look me up if you get over to the south side!

Shaka Doug:
I had 6 dives this week already that have kicked butt. The water is super calm and clear right now and holding steady at 81 F!!! Look me up if you get over to the south side!

Now that was downright CRUEL!!! Did you have to tease us that way?? :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom