• 2-3 hours

Votes: 39 21.8%
  • 3-4 hours

Votes: 20 11.2%
  • more than 4 hours

Votes: 89 49.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

5 hours to either Panama City or Destin from Atlanta
11 hours to the Keys from Atlanta.

Hmmm, In no particular order...

2 hours each way to do an hour or so long dive to about 50'
(Twin Lakes in Houston)

4 hours each way to do a couple of 45 minute dives to 40'
(Athens Scuba Park)

5 hours each way to do two 100' dives in Lake Travis, Austin.

5 1/2 hours each way to do a single 45 minute dive in 45 degree water. (Clear Springs Scuba Park, Polar Bear dive)

45 minute drive to get to the dock to do a 3 or so hour trip out into the Gulf to spend the day spearfising.

I have driven farther or longer for multi day trips, but that pretty much somes up the "drive, dive and drive" trips.

45 minutes on the short end during the summer to a local quarry and 2 & 1/2 hours in the winter to dive in 60 degree temp water with the snow falling! And it's an altitude dive to boot! See site:

http://www.scubadiving.com/US/mtstorm.shtml

That is to stay in practice.

Real diving is 2 & 1/2 hrs to Ocean City MD, to 3 & 1/2 to Chincoteague, VA & VB, VA, to 8 hours to Morehead City, NC.

Dave D

In the Pacific Northwest (PNW) I can driver 15 min or I can drive 8 hours to head up the BC Coast, it all depends on the type of diving you want, there are a lot of charters that we get to choose from too, even a few liveaboards.

Travis

:wacko: I wouldn't do some of those drives for free beer! You people are dedicated.

One of the advantages of living on a small island is that you can drive from end to end in a relatively short space of time: about 10 hours in the case of Ireland.

As I live on the coast, I'm about five minutes drive away from the local harbour (really counting my blessings after reading some of those posts!) So, the furthest we ever drive for one/two dives is four hours each way (either to the south coast or, in winter, to a quarry); for a weekend of diving it's seven hours each way (to the west or south west coast). Some of the best diving I've done is about four hours drive and then a short (>half an hour) boat trip away. Bliss. :)

Of course, living on the western periphery of Europe makes it tres expensive to travel to the Red Sea, Barrier Reef, Truk, etc, etc. But that's life.

:eek:ut:

Man, I wish I lived on an island :)

Actually, wait a minute. I wish I was rich enough to get a big yacht and just go skipping from island to island all year round :)

Omicron once bubbled...
Man, I wish I lived on an island :)

Actually, wait a minute. I wish I was rich enough to get a big yacht and just go skipping from island to island all year round :)

I'm with you on that...with you on that...with you on that!

Is there an echo in here? :)

:eek:ut:

I was on a Blackbeard's trip this summer and we met some people at a bar that had these little polo shirts on with the logo and name of one of the ships that were docked on the islands harbor. We all assumed that they were a charter boat run by a company.

Nope...turns out that it was just a really rich couple tha liked their crew to dress nice.

My god.

When do I get enough money to have my employees dress with the logos and names of my toys on their clothes!?

each way to do a dive or two to around 100' or so in Lake Travis.

Irishdiver once bubbled...
One of the advantages of living on a small island is that you can drive from end to end in a relatively short space of time: about 10 hours in the case of Ireland.

The longest it takes me to drive to the furthest point on the island to dive is about 45 minutes. Average time is 30 minutes each way.

I am really impressed with everyone's willingness to put in serious drive time in order to get wet.

Back
Top Bottom