How fast do prices go down?

Will the price go down soon?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Used equipment is also an option. Scuba gear is often sold very quickly after purchase (people give up quick) and the quality of most is very high. Regulators last pretty much forever and BC's can be readily found on the used market in hardly used condition. As it is your first set of stuff, consider used. You may find that you want something different very quickly (divers love gear) and it is a shame to spend money on new gear you will probably replace in a couple of seasons

The only reliable price cut occurs when a noobie buys all the wrong gear and is then forced to privately sell it used when they replace it with the proper stuff.
Or they decide, after 10 dives or so, that it isn't as much fun as they thought it would be. Both good reasons to be cautious in buying gear at new prices. Used gear can be a good deal if it's in decent condition, but it's hard to know that as a new diver.

This policy reminds me of a very early "wtf" moment when I finally fully understood my fathers fixation with Speedy Muffler. They sold him a $35 life time guaranteed replacement muffler on his 1967 Doge Polaris. He took it in regularly (at least once a year) to get yet another free muffler since the current one rusted out in about 9 months. He also bought a few tail pipes, lots of exhaust pipes, dozens of hanger clamps and paid for several weeks of labour. But his $35 muffler was free! Every time!

I got my atomic Z3 from LP. Everyone's price was 529-589. Including LP website I called them and got it for 399, because they gave it to me for the sale price from 4 months before. They want to make a sale even if it's at less of a profit. they deal in quantity.

You can get gear that is just as good, if not better depending on your needs and where you will be diving, for half of what you'll pay for that Scuba Pro package. Don't fall for marketing hype. No manufacturer is going to sell unsafe gear. If your diving needs change over the next year you can expect to get maybe 50% of what you paid for those items if you need to sell them to change equipment. 30% on the BC.

Not that it isn't good gear, it is. Very good. Just way overpriced for what it does compared to other brands that you would not be able to tell the difference in performance.

Or if I read your post correctly your parents can.

Those parts are not free by any stretch of the imagination. You are paying for them on the front end.

This...^^^

You're looking at some nice gear but after you've been diving for a while, you will know what stuff is a good value and what stuff is overpriced. Basically, what to buy and what to avoid. Try to find an experienced diver whose advice you respect who will give you an honest opinion. There's a lot of great gear out there for half of what you are about to pay that will get you where you want to go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom