How many actually use diver buoy or surface marker buoy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting. I've marked my line with a black permanent marker. 3 dots at 3 m, 5 dots at 5m, single long mark at 10m, long mark plus dot at 15m and so on.

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug
I used a red paint stick with an oil based paint to mark my line. Very easy to read when ascending from depth. Often I do not even need to look at my computer to know where I am at on my line.

I used a red paint stick with an oil based paint to mark my line. Very easy to read when ascending from depth. Often I do not even need to look at my computer to know where I am at on my line.

The paint is great but knots work better in low visibility.

If the vis is so bad that I can't see stuff an arm's length away, I thumb the dive. If light is the problem, I always carry my backup and usually my primary as well.

--

Every dive except boat dive where flag is displayed. Many places this is the law, every place this is a good idea. Remember, you can tie off a flag on Rock or other secure, non-living anchor, and stay within 50 feet of so of it if you don't like towing it. Our favorite dives are off on our own, exploring a single area of the reef, as opposed to seeing haw far we can swim and how fast we use u;p our air.
Get in habit of having a proper "diver down" flag over you or near year on every dive. Many places it is the law; every place it is a safety matter and good idea.
DivemasterDennis

I have been diving for a year and a half now and I find it odd that I really don't see many divers using a dive buoy or surface marker buoy. I dive in several areas where there are fishing boats and in La Jolla there are a lot off life guards sometimes patrolling with boats.
When I surface I do look up, but that won't help me if some one is cruising with a boat or a jet ski, I won't be able to see them in time and could perhaps be run over.

This I believe is an important topic because it stresses safety and should not be taken lightly even if you have experience or you think you will never run into this situation. I believe the potential it always there for an accident, unless you either use a dive buoy with flag or deploy a surface marker when you are surfacing.

How many of you actually do this.I would also like to find out HOW do you deploy your safety buoy, do you do it during your safety stop before you surface with a 15 foot lanyard? What is your method I am sure others would like to know what is a good practical way of doing this.

If perhaps you have not felt the need to use a dive buoy and flag or deploy a surface marker tell us why you think it is not
worth the effort.

I have to wonder if one reason so many scuba divers fail to tow a float is because they are not using the optimal gear. For example, a round float ball is hard to pull and generates tremendous drag in a current. An innertube with a flag, provides good hand holds to rest on, but it also challenging to tow through the surf and provides a lot of drag.

The typical “dive flag with float” configuration is inexpensive, but will be pulled underwater in anything less than a mild current and it has no reserve buoyancy to provide diver support on the surface.

What’s a better way? We recommend that diver consider a combination of:

The hard float is essentially a life guard “rescue can”. It has several hand holds, is indestructible, can be towed through the surf because it is so hydrodynamic – yet still provides considerable buoyancy - which may be necessary in an emergency. (This is why life guards use these floats). The dive flag mount is very securely attached with a strong elastic belt that is fitted with a lead counter weight that works to keep the flag upright.

MHHF2-2.jpg

I’ve put a lot of thought into this. We have an optional “Florida legal” dive flag which meets the size requirement AND includes the mandatory flag stiffener which is mandated when diving within the State of Florida. The small, white, plastic ball on top of the fiberglass rod is added strictly for your safety. Should someone accidentally fall onto the float while on a boat or shore, the ball may provide some degree of protection.

mhhfr-i-weight_dtl.jpg

We've added a strong, inexpensive reel which has 150-ft of nylon line. This reel will not free spool which can result in a bird’s nest of line. The reel has an automatic ratcheting lever that is easily controlled by the diver. You press the level with your thumb and line will be released. When you want to stop the release of line, you release the lever and the reel will instantly stop releasing line. There is no knob to tighten or loosen. Release of line is accomplished completely with just one hand.

MUR.1-2.jpg

We’ve had customers use this reel to anchor a kayak, so it can definitely take the tension generated from a dive float in strong currents.

We also offer a small grappling hook which can allow the diver to anchor the float on appropriate bottom structure. The hook can be attached to the frame (handle) of the reel.

reef-hook.jpg

Once of the big benefits of using a good reel on your float is that you can easily and precisely control the amount of line deployed. If you are diving near tall shipwrecks or reefs, then you may want to keep the line shorter, so it is less likely to get tangled on the superstructure of a wreck. If the current is strong and there are no similar hazards, then paying out additional line (scope) will make the float easier to tow, because the angle will be more gentle between the float and the diver.

Of course, using a reel to tow a float is best when ascending as well. The diver can easily wind up the line, which helps to control the ascent rate. Once a safety stop depth is reached, the ratcheting function is very nice because you can hang below the float or even drop the reel without fear of it falling back down (thanks to the ratcheting lock function) . You also have the security of ascending DIRECTLY under the float as you slowly wind in the last 15 feet or so of line.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Thanks
Dano

never.

all dives end by
a) slowly ascending to the ladder at the back of the dive boat
OR
b) slowly ascending to the ladder at the end of the dock.

note that our dock dives can incur lots of boat traffic if you happen to be ending your dive around the same time as the dive boats are returning. but since they are "dive boats" they appear to understand how to behave around submerged divers.

If the vis is so bad that I can't see stuff an arm's length away, I thumb the dive. If light is the problem, I always carry my backup and usually my primary as well.

--

I wish I lived where you do...if I thumbed every dive when the vis was bad I would dive 5 times a year :wink:

Is there a reason we need 3 threads dealing with the same question about shooting a DSMB?

I think I can answer that for you since I posted the thread. Each thread was intended to pertain to each individual subject forum.

In the Basic forum, where I originally posted it was a general question presented to most divers out there, if they actually used a dive buoy or SMB and if not why they felt it was not worth the effort.
In the new diver forum it was aimed at the new diver or those just getting there cert. The intent was to give them a heads up on the importance of this, because it may not be made aware to them. I also urged them if possible to ask there instructor to train them on the SMB.

In the schools and Training forum I went under the SSI section and high lighted this because I strongly felt that this should be incorporated in their training program.

This is the reason the same subject happens to be in three different areas. I have no regrets about posting this in the three areas. In fact, if it were to bring more awareness to some individuals of the potential danger and get some to practice using their DSMB more often, then I would say it was well worth the effort. Even if some are not in agreement with all this, its OK.

---------- Post added May 8th, 2015 at 09:44 PM ----------

That is a great tip.

I wish I lived where you do...if I thumbed every dive when the vis was bad I would dive 5 times a year :wink:

You dive solo then? Or do you use a buddy line? 'Cause I can't imagine any other method for buddy contact if the vis is so low that you literally can't see an arm's lenght away, i.e. about one meter/three feet.

And are you serious that you see only 5 days/year with vis better than one meter/three feet ?

--

If perhaps you have not felt the need to use a dive buoy and flag or deploy a surface marker tell us why you think it is not worth the effort.

It has been my experience that most boaters do not know what a dive flag is or do not care and almost none know what a DSMB is used for. It is FAR more likely that if you send one up in an area where there are boats you will attract them to your location rather then deter them. They have no idea what this thing that just popped up out of nowhere is for and will more then likely come over to have a look. As for the laws requiring a boat to stay 100' away from a dive flag, I have never seen those laws enforced once in the last 45 years and to my knowledge there are no laws about staying away from a DSMB.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom