How many calories does diving burn?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, it looks like it can be approximated fairly well this way.

Looking at web information on rebreathers, which seem like they might care a lot about how much O2 is actually metabolized vs. exhaled, I found RB which includes this:

"In most circumstances, breathing rate, or respiratory minute volume (RMV), will be directly proportional to metabolic oxygen consumption rate. Thus, most passive-addition semi-closed rebreathers inject supply gas into the breathing loop at a rate determined by the diver's RMV"

Attempting to chase down the "In most circumstances", I found
Exercise Physiology and the Role of Physiological Testing :

Pulmonary ventilation [VE] is the amount of air moved in and out of the lungs per minute.
... The ventilatory equivalent ratio for oxygen [VE/V02] is equal to the pulmonary ventilation (VE) divided by oxygen consumption (VO2). ... Click here to see the response of the ventilatory equivalent ratios to exercise.

The link is to a graph
CYCLE VO2max PROJECT
that shows VE/VO2 as being about 21 at extreme rest, dropping to about 17 for moderate activity and past the anaerobic threshold, and then up to about 20 at peak limits. It seems reasonable to say that most recreational diving situations could use the value of 17 (or VO2/VE = 5.9%), but if you have a case of extreme underwater exercise, maybe a little higher, up to 20, would be appropriate. See the graph.

But ... The referenced discussion is for air (21% O2) at 1 atmosphere. As we all learned in OW training, we just waste the extra O2 we breath at higher pressures, at 33 FSW our VE doubles but our VO2 stays the same. Fortunately, this is accommodated by the way we compute SAC, which is normalized to equivalent gas consumption at 1 atmosphere.

The reference I cited in a previous post, Calorie Burning , tells us that

"For pure carbohydrate and fat catabolism (breakdown), these caloric amounts are actually 5.05 and 4.73 Kcal/Liter O2, respectively"

Since there are 28.31 liters / cubic foot, that's 143 or 134 Kcal/ cubic foot O2, respectively. (The calories we talk about with respect to food and exercise are actually Kilocalories in scientific units.) If we approximate 50% of each in the absence of known CO2 expiration rates, we could use 148 Kcal / cubic foot O2 metabolized.

So if you know enough to calculate your SAC rate (average depth, dive time, delta-pressure, tank constant), you ought to be able to calculate how many calories you burned, with an uncertainty of
- As much as about 18% for activity level, which you can refine somewhat by using SAC rate information, or just using a higher [VE/VO2] for dives with extreme activity.
- About 7% for carbs vs. fat, which you'd need CO2 expiration rates to account for. Maybe use a mid-point assuming you'll burn some of each.

Let's try an example to see if the numbers make sense: Suppose you do a nice easy dive on air for 60 minutes and calculate an RMV of 0.5 cuft/min. Note I've slipped from the colloquial SAC to RMV, which is tank-independent, is expressed in volume/minute, and is what most divers usually mean when they say SAC.

So you breathed a 1 atmosphere equivalent of 0.5 * 60 = 30 cubic feet of air. Your SAC rate is nice and low, so use 5.9% VO2/VE, so you metabolized 1.77 cubic feet O2. At 148 cal / cubic foot, that means you've burned 262 calories. Doing a sanity check using some published values for the caloric expenditure of an hour of various exercises at Exercise for weight loss: Calories burned in 1 hour - MayoClinic.com , this is about the same as a 200 lb person doing ballroom dancing, bowling, or (interpolating) walking at about 2.5 mph. For an RMV of 0.5 cuft/min, that sounds reasonable to me.

Note that the rate of caloric consumption is more or less linear with RMV (SAC rate). So if your dive was at an RMV of 0.7, you can expect to burn 262 * (0.7 / 0.5) = 367 calories per hour, about the same as bicycling < 10 mph (leisure) or playing volleyball. Or just (524 * RMV) calories per hour. This probably holds up to an RMV of about 1.0, at which point you need to use progressively lower values for VO2/VE, down to maybe 5% at peak output, or as little as (444 * RMV) calories / hour. RMV here is cubic feet / minute. Metric values use the same logic but need a different constant.

I'm also not sure about the effect of stress hyperventilation on VE/VO2, the reference was concerned with power output of exercise. So this might fail to hold for very high SAC rate dives for that reason, reducing the calories burned below the values shown above.

As others have pointed out, gearing up and down, entries and exits, etc, may be more strenuous, but we usually don't spend a lot of time at them relative to bottom time.

It's an interesting question I thought I'd look into - the fact that divers actually are instrumented for at least VE, and whether that's enough to estimate VO2 and therefore calories burned. I think the answer is yes, to a useable approximation.

I'll remind everyone that I'm not an exercise physiologist, I'm just playing one on the internet. To the extent that the cited web references are wrong, or I've misunderstood them, this analysis would be wrong. Anyone who can point out any errors or confusion, please do.

... you guys did notice the date of this post ... right?

... not the fact that it was posted in 2008 ... the fact that it was posted on April 1 ...

Some folks can make a science project out of anything ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I dropped some weight over that last couple years, but it had nothing to do with diving! I would have lost weight on the live-aboard trips to Channel islands CA where I was doing 6 dives/hours a day except the cook was awesome! I would say diving is not a a high energy activity unless you are doing it wrong. There are certain times where one can burn calories like swimming against current but that is unusual .....

Some dive days I can lose 5 pounds. Others hardly anything. Just depends on if I'm covering a lot of ground or taking it easy.

I once lost 6 pounds, now i have to buy a new weight belt and lead :D

... you guys did notice the date of this post ... right?

... not the fact that it was posted in 2008 ... the fact that it was posted on April 1 ...

Some folks can make a science project out of anything ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Hey, I remember that post. FWIW, I hadn't noticed the April 1 date. The OP was on March 30, and discussion followed in its own natural time. The post itself is quite serious. Someone asked a question that seemed like it would be interesting to understand the answer to, so I tried.

If "making a science project" out of something means thinking about it with some rigor, what's wrong with that?
Or do you just like to watch the goats explode and not wonder why?

Last edited:
My unscientific observations:

With 4+ dives/day (roughly 60 minutes per, easy tropical shore or boat diving), I can eat/drink any/everything I want and still come back from a week vacation lighter.

If I scale it back to 2 dives a day, I'm just as hungry every day, but heavier at the end of the week :)

If you're doing either one right, not as much as sex. If you're doing either one wrong, probably about the same. Either way, I'll try to choose doing both right and get my calories burned by something other than diving.

I really wonder why this should be so hard. I understand there are many variables. The same is true for just about any other activity though. Take riding a bike: Did you go slow or fast? What kind of bike are you riding? Uphill or downhill? How heavy are you? Any headwind? And so on, and so on. Yet I can still look up roughly how many calories I can expect to burn. Why would the same not be available for scuba?!? Let's say i am doing an 80 foot dive in 80 degree water without current for an hour. Why would there be a table I can look up and get an average, ballpark number?!?

With all that said however, I think the simple answer is that scuba diving just doesn't burn much. It's just not that hard. During many dives most divers hardly even kick their fins. And with neutral buoyancy, ones body is suspended practically weightless. It's less strenuous than laying on a couch I would think. Of course there is some activity and some swimming. I would think the number of 150-180 calories for an hour dive like I described above is probably the max. Only if you had to swim really hard against a current would I expect much difference. I mean, if we are starting to wonder whether the act of putting a wet suit on adds a lot of exercise, then that gives you a good yardstick right there as to whether diving is strenuous. It is not.

I think being tired after diving is simply a matter of the gases one absorbs and the effects of compression. Someone in this discussion said they are losing 5 pounds in a dive. That is plain impossible. If that was calorie based, one would have to burn over 17,000 calories on a dive. Even for multiple dive's, that's impossible. That's a weeks's worth of food intake. If that person really lost that much, then it is probably due to dehydration and they need to drink a lot more, because I would be willing to bet that that's not healthy.

Personally, I also try to log my exercises, but I do not even write scuba diving down. I think I am expending more energy on the way to the loo...

Think about it... When well practiced this sport is as close to anaerobic as possible. We do all we can to minimize thermal and physical energy expenditure in the name of comfort and air conservation. Hence the burn is nothing to write home about. If you habitually underdress to the point of borderline hypothermia you might be on to something.

Now, humping all of the gear around and keeping on the move staging for the next dive may offset chow with your buddies afterward, if you're lucky. If you skimp on hydration you might even think you had a great loss for a day or so. In the end the biggest benefit is probably the smart things diving may motivate you to do when you are NOT diving.

Pete

There's a big difference between shore and boat diving. I think shore a shore dive gives you pretty good workout, as you have to walk to the entry point, and swim quite a bit.

Boat diving is more floating around and a sharp burst of effort to walk up the ladder.

Suiting up is the same for both.

Back
Top Bottom