how much do profestional divers make?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gangrel441:
Related question, then...a DM working through an LDS assisting courses and teaching refreshers on the side, working a non-industry full time job: how often would one need to teach in order to break even financially with professional insurance premiums and other related costs? Then same question, except substitute "instructor" for "dm".

DMs at my LDS (very large multi-store sporting goods chain) are actually paid by the instructor when assisting with classes, etc., usually around $20.00 per student diver. They also get boat charters paid for, and pro deals throughout the store, not just on scuba stuff. The biggest perk is that the store pays your liability insurance as long as you are renewed and current.

Basically, it's enough to cover expenses and dive for free.

This might be a dumb newbie question, but, I'm guessing the costs of the courses and dives to obtain DM is pretty expensive, along with the time it takes, and then since a DM, in essence, only works for the privilage of free diving, do most, in retrospect, just wish they'd spent all that time and money on resort diving instead?

I'm asking because I retire in a couple of years, and was saving for one of the IDC things, and trying to break into the industry. I was hoping this would be a second income, but if I'm probably going to have to get another job anyway for a real second income (college for my girls), would I be better off just enjoying the money saved for IDC on resort diving?

mason:
This might be a dumb newbie question, but, I'm guessing the costs of the courses and dives to obtain DM is pretty expensive, along with the time it takes, and then since a DM, in essence, only works for the privilage of free diving, do most, in retrospect, just wish they'd spent all that time and money on resort diving instead?
The total is pushing 2 grand or so to get from Rescue to OWSI, including instructional materials. I'd say it depends on your personal situation. 2 grand for one person may be nothing, but could be a large amount for another.

Instructors at my LDS are paid by the student. In the summer months they will have enough students to cover costs and make up for winter months. During the winter they usually do not have enough students to make any money, if they can cover their costs.

Bill

When I was a dive guide 20 years ago I did it for free diving and free air. Back then it was $35 for a two tank dive with air. so I suppose I was paid $35 per trip. I think some people get the dive guide and dive master jobs confused.

It varies a lot by region, of course, as well as varying by individual dive shop. Here on Guam, when everything's going well economically and there are plenty of tourists, instructors can make decent money. Most of this would be through the "intro" diver traffic (like PADI Discover Scuba.) Normally DMs can not lead intro groups unless they go through an extra short bit of training, so the numbers here refer mostly to instructors. A lot of instructors prefer to do intro diving....the reason is that they can do 1~4 dives per day, and a ballpark figure would be $100~120 for 2 dives (maybe work 7AM to 1PM) and close to $200 or even more for 4 dives (work about 7AM to 5 or 6PM). So, it's decent pay for intro diving, but it's not as interesting (limited sites, max depth 12m/40') and more stressful (a lot higher "panic" percentage) than boat diving. For boat diving, however, the going rate here is $100 for 2 dives....which would be about 7AM to 2 or 3PM. So, for the (to quote Tom Cruise, for whom I'm constantly mistaken, ha ha) "show me the money" instructors, they prefer to do beach intros all the time, because they'll generally make more money. (If they work on the boat in the morning doing "regular" boat divers, they're usually not available to do any of those PM intro dives, thereby missing out on another $100 or so.

So, busy season, a reliable, popular instructor/guide can make decent money. I've know some who've worked...oh....30 days or so in a row because they're in demand. I should have mentioned I'm mostly referring to the "on call" instructors, who work as needed for any shop that will take them. If it's a full time, ie. employed directly by only one shop, they make less per day (maybe $100 or so for a full day, no matter how many dives they do) but are usually guaranteed a salary, even during slow seasons. I know some instructors who have been offered that sort of employment, but they (if they can keep busy) might make the same amount of $ in 2 or 3 weeks, with more scheduling freedom as an "independent" than working a month as a regular employee. The big drawback is, when they tourists don't show up (post typhoon, SARS in Asia, whatever) these independent instructors aren't needed, and might not get any work.

That's sort of the basics here in working with tourists, primarily...I'm not as familiar with what people make when mostly teaching locals and/or military. Instructors probably make the best money if they can independently teach a group to dive....but that's not real regular work.

Another newbie question...the liability insurance spoken of I assume is scuba specific. Not to be confused with a liability umbrella policy. Typically, if there is such a thing, what would this insurance cost per year?

xSandman3:
DMs at my LDS (very large multi-store sporting goods chain) are actually paid by the instructor when assisting with classes, etc., usually around $20.00 per student diver. They also get boat charters paid for, and pro deals throughout the store, not just on scuba stuff. The biggest perk is that the store pays your liability insurance as long as you are renewed and current.

Basically, it's enough to cover expenses and dive for free.

Thanks. Enough to cover expenses and dive free is good enough for my plans. Full time job covers the income side. Just want to make sure I don't get DM and wind up making an already expensive pastime even more expensive.

Looks like I am probably going to do DM as an internship with a local club. Won't cost as much for the course, but won't get in-store perks because no LDS. Might have to see if I can get a break with any local charter operators for doing freelance DM work on their boats. Whole point of this pursuit is to find excuses to get wet more often, right? :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom