How Much Does It Cost To Have Oceanic Replace the Battery In An OCi?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cvfbx5

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am considering moving from my Suunto Cobra to the Oceanic OCi computer with Transmitter but would like to know if anybody can tell me what it costs to have the manufacturer replace the batteries in the wrist computer and the transmitter and how long of a process it is?

I found the job of changing the batteries in both the computer and the transmitter to be relatively simple and straightforward using this Battery Kit. I suspect the dive shop will do it for around $50 or so including batteries, but I didn't ask.

The Atom 3.1 and the Geo 2 have a twist on battery cover and the instructions say the battery is user replaceable. I have had a Geo 2 for more than 5 years and the battery replacement is a cinch
upload_2016-11-9_15-26-47.png

The OCi and the OCL have a 4 screw battery back and the instructions recommend a pressure test by the dealer or factory. Personally, I am not fond of this change, maybe the battery change works just fine and the pressure test is not needed
upload_2016-11-9_15-29-51.png

Is there some particular reason it has to be the mfr?

Because it appears Scuba Center | Minnesota's Largest PADI Scuba Diving School | Scuba Diving and Snorkeling Equipment, Water Rescue Equipment | Scuba Diving Classes | Dive Travel | Minneapolis, Minnesota and Eagan, Minne is an Oceanic dealer and could do it.

My local shop charges cost for the kit and 1 hr labor so it winds up around $50 but that's for a Suunto also.
Wouldn't you rather change the battery yourself? This is a big step backward

Wouldn't you rather change the battery yourself? This is a big step backward
Are you asking me? Sometimes I do it, sometimes my shop. Depends on how my schedule is and when I remember to get it done. I've literally been there at 4pm after work with a 4am flight the next morning out so that one I let them do. Plus they have the right tools, are faster than I am and can check it under pressure. Worth $50 to me...

Back
Top Bottom