How much does your dive gear weigh?

Discussion in 'General Travel and Vacation Discussions' started by underachiever, Mar 12, 2007.

1. underachiever

underachiever Surface Interval Member

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I plan to do a test run this weekend on packing for a Cozumel trip. (9 days) In April. Just wondering how much a set of gear weighs. (Ball park figure)

Lets say everything in a size large(3 M wetsuit, BCD, Mask Fins and snorkel,boots, small knife, SMB, Primary w/4 C's and BU lights, mesh dufflel, ) Approx how much will this weigh?

Camera, regs and comp. will be in carryon.

Hoping to get everything in one checked bag/pp and one carryon/pp. My SO has agreed to take only 2 pair of shoes.:D So I hope that will really help. Can it be done with only one carryon and one checked piece/each?

Are the weights at Blue Angel on the boat or do you get them at the dive shop? Wondering whethter to carry the weight bag. How bout weights for a cenote trip? Where do you get them?

2. akbpilot

akbpilot Surface Interval Member

Same size and nearly same config as you, 40# including the rolling duffel it's packed in. Didn't have a primary light your size. Forget the knife, they don't want you carrying them anyway. I had a set of shears. Main bag weighed 50# on the dot when packed with extra clothes.
    Weights were on the boat when Blue Angel goes out, you don't need a weight bag. I have not done a cenote, but I can't imagine there not being weights on the other side, no one wants to pack all that weight along.

3. lmorin

lmorin Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    My wife and I combine the following into a rollable duffle: 3 mm suit, 5 mm suit, 1 mask in case, 2 pr gloves, 1 pr booties, 2 pr fins, 2 snorkels, 2 sausages, 2 small slates, 2 shears, 2 BCs and 2 mesh boat bags. Total weight is 49 lbs, except at the Cozumel airport where it weighed in at 53 lbs. Always weighs 49 lbs at home, and has been that way at numerous other airports. My wife's gear weighs 4-5 lbs less than mine because mine is the 5 mm suit, my fins are 40% heavier and my BC is signficantly heavier, too. All lights/batteries in the carry-on with regs; small knife in shared suitcase with clothes. Carry-on is a small suitcase and weighs a lot because of regs, small camera, binoculars, bird and fish ID books, plus novels, etc.

4. rje634

rje634 Divemaster

Just got back from Coz a few weeks ago. My gear was 32# and the hardshell suitcase is 14# so I was just under the wire.
    On the way back I was told by the Continental staff in Coz that I was allowed 70# in a bag as long as there was only scuba equipment in the bag. So you may want to check with your carrier.

As far as weights I believe you'll find that most ops keep the weights on the boat. I don't know how the cenotes handle it.

5. underachiever

Thanks for the replies. Gives me a good starting point.

6. Garrobo

Garrobo Great White

I bought a cheap digital bathroom scale at Wally's and put 50# of lead weights on it to check the accuracy. It came out 50.2#. That's close enough for me.

7. CUunderH2O

CUunderH2O Single Diver

The cenote dive op will provide tanks & weights; at least they did for us.

8. underachiever

Did a test run last night for our upcoming trip. Got the wife to pre pack also. Dive bag came in at 46 lbs. So we are planning on a carryon each and a checked each. For 9 days. She is only taking one pair of shoes and her crocs. I am so proud of her.

We may pull a Dandy Don and purchase a coffe pot in Cozumel. Figure it will pay for itself. And donate it to the maid or similar.

Now I have to unpack for the whirlwind trip to the Keys this weekend. Need some practice before we go to Coz. Plan on doing Conch Reef and the Eagle.

9. diver 85

diver 85 Orca

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    went 2 weeks ago & remember the weight(just my stuff, wife did not want to go on this 'short dive only' trip)....40# on the checked in suitcase(dive gear & clothes) & 27# on my carry on, UW camera in a Pelican all by itself(don't need to weight it- it's a camera, lol)....took almost the exact same equipment as you're planning to take.....BTW, on the way back, the suitcase jumped to 45#(& they were watching that weight)........good luck........

10. Im2Bent

Im2Bent Garibaldi

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Just went to Coz on Alaska Air out of Los Angeles. On the way down my bag was 49 lbs on the way back it was 62 pounds. They started to give me a spiel on how I wanted to pay the 25 bux for the extra 12 pounds when the lady behind the counter asked if it was dive gear. When I said it was she said no problem with the weight and away I went, it was too sweet to not get shafted by the airlines for once.:D

11. WOODMAN

WOODMAN Surface Interval Member

We used to run into the max limits with our checked luggage all the time also, and unless we shlepped more than one checked bag each, we got into trouble. My carryon is chock full of camera gear, and wifey has hers full of travel stuff. Then I got wind of the rule that allows for a SECOND carryon of a small personal item, which is interpreted as a camera, a laptop, a briefcase, OR A SMALL BACKPACK! We each wear a "small" backpack now which contains our regulators, masks, computers, a few clothing items, etc, and this has really freed up our checked bags to easily come in under the weight limits. And we have the basic essentials with us if the airline fumbles the checked luggage. Wish I had thought of this years ago!

12. scubawife

scubawife Loggerhead Turtle

I've got an Armor set that is a roller duffle and a back pack. Clip together for easy travel and come apart to check as two pieces. The total for both usually comes in at around 55-60lbs. Always a few lbs more on the way home since the gear is never completely dry.

I fly CO a few times a year to either Cancun or Cozumel. First Class allows 3 bags per person with max weight of 70lbs per bag. Coach is 2 bags each with max weight of 50lbs per bag. We've always been told (at the airport and on the phone) that SCUBA gear is treated as regular baggage and needs to meet the max weight restrictions. No exceptions. If a gear bag is over weight = $25/bag charge. Max weight per bag, even if charged for overweight, is 70lbs.

13. RonDawg

RonDawg Manta Ray

It all depends on the airline, as Im2Bent experienced with Alaska Airlines.

Virgin Blue in Australia has very stringent weight limits; 20 kg TOTAL for all your checked baggage, unless you pay full fare :11: However, I was able to save AUS$30 in overweight fees each way because one of my bags contained scuba gear (which BTW was 20 kg itself). Apparently "sports equipment" automatically counts as 5 kg's towards your total baggage weight allowance, regardless of actual weight, though you still have to abide by the piece restrictions.

At other airlines, sports gear including scuba gear is counted like any other piece of luggage.

14. scubawife

scubawife Loggerhead Turtle

Yes, it does. And that's always seemed ridiculous to me. rje634 was saying that Continental allowed 70lbs IF it included SCUBA gear. I do that trip a few times a year, always on CO and they have always insisted that SCUBA gear has to be part of the weight allotment. They don't have any additional weight allowed at no charge for gear. That was still the case this past Tuesday when we flew back. Since we upgrade most of the time the bags aren't a problem since first class comes with a 3 bags x 70lb allotment.

15. underachiever

WHen you folks mention small back pack. Do you refer to something like school kids use?

16. MSP Diver

MSP Diver Angel Fish

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    If you are pushing the 50 lbs mark, make sure all your gear is dry. I weighed in once at 48 lbs. but, on the way back, I was at 53 lbs. Some people end up with some water in the bladder of their BC, don't forget that either.

Have a good trip.

17. DandyDon

DandyDon ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

Continentals Luggage rules: clicky here

Yep, you're really allowed TWO CARRY-ONs: one can be a roll-on that fits the airlines limits for carry-on (Continental is 51 linear in or 130 cm: L+W+H; up to 40 lbs or 18 kg; different for Europe or Delhi) and the other a small personal bag, i.e. "one small personal article such as a briefcase, purse, day planner, small laptop computer, camera case, compact disk player or similar sized personal entertainment item
    Plus: personal aid devices such as wheelchairs, braces, canes, crutches, prosthetic devices and walking sticks, provided passenger is dependent on them
    And: one infant article such as a small collapsible stroller, a diaper bag or a government approved child seat (larger strollers can be checked in the jetway prior to boarding the aircraft)"
    I don't think they're really gonna stop a lady for having a roll-on, laptop backpack, and a purse all three. Expect to gate check the roll-ons on Regional Jets and perhaps a full plane, so do not put fragile items like cameras in those.

Depends on whom you do with. I went with Matt from Blue Angel, and he picked up the tanks over there, but had us bring our weights with us - and the water is around 72F, so you may well need to wear a thicker wet suit over there, yielding the same amount of lead you used with a lighter suit in warm salt water. Matt can probly provide a tote bag if needed for the weights; he carries the bags to the ferry dock in his little pickup; porters with large tricycles carry the bags to & from the ferry; then he takes you to the site in a van.

I've heard of that, but I think it depends on the agent's misunderstanding of the rules. But as long as I stick to Cont, I get 2 - 70# limits anyway, so I don't worry. I just check in last with a companion so if he is overweight, he can move batteries etc to my bags. Except my bags are always a bit over 50# each, with my pony and the mini-dive store I like to take.

HOWEVER, if one needs more than the free baggage allowances, take it - pay the $25 each way on one bag. $2,000 trip and do without something 'cause you didn't want to pay $25 on luggage....?

18. WOODMAN

WOODMAN Surface Interval Member

Our backpacks are about 16" long, 14" wide, and maybe 8"deep. That all depends on how full you cram them, of course. You see this kind of thing being sold just about everywhere, but be sure you get one that is tough enough to stand up to being dragged all over the world. I recommend a luggage shop to be sure you get one with decent zippers, good reinforcing, etc. We even had ours altered to include a chest strap (similiar to the arrangement on a BC) to help keep the darn things on our backs while dashing around airports.;) Amazing what you can get into one of these things....