DIR- Generic How much gas can be realistically dumped from a wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sunny_diver

Registered
Reaction score
After dumping all I can from my Halcyon doubles wing, using either the rear dump or the inflator, I can still hear some gas sloshing around if I roll my shoulders.

I'm aware of proper technique when using the rear dump. Right shoulder goes down, left hip goes up, and pull the dump cord straight up towards the surface or back towards the tanks.

An instructor pointed out in passing that I'm not getting all the gas out of my wing, but gave me no tips. I want to eliminate the final 1-2 lbs of lift.

Realistically, can pretty much all gas be dumped from a Halcyon doubles wing? How? Are other wings easier to fully dump?

For me, shoulder down and hip up are not enough. I have to go head down and butt up to vent the bladder properly.

After dumping all I can from my Halcyon doubles wing, using either the rear dump or the inflator, I can still hear some gas sloshing around if I roll my shoulders.

I'm aware of proper technique when using the rear dump. Right shoulder goes down, left hip goes up, and pull the dump cord straight up towards the surface or back towards the tanks.

An instructor pointed out in passing that I'm not getting all the gas out of my wing, but gave me no tips. I want to eliminate the final 1-2 lbs of lift.

Realistically, can pretty much all gas be dumped from a Halcyon doubles wing? How? Are other wings easier to fully dump?
I’d have to see your wing to see how full it is, but getting it completely 100% empty is almost impossible with the kidney dump and for the last little bit you need to break trim and use the inflator.

None of my other double wings are easier to dump: dive rite or light monkey.

If it’s really just a lb or so I’d not worry about it and just carry a bit more weight.

For dumping the dregs in the wing, consider dumping from the LPI. The optimal trim for dumping the drysuit (other than the slight roll) will have already moved the wing bubble to your shoulders.

That said, it's possible you're not waiting long enough for the bubble to migrate to the hip dump when employing that route. Hard to say without observing.

FWIW, I feel like I can empty my 44 lb wing from the hip but not my 60 lb wing.

After dumping all I can from my Halcyon doubles wing, using either the rear dump or the inflator, I can still hear some gas sloshing around if I roll my shoulders. ...
Gas sloshing? Sounds like there might be too much water in you wings. If you hold open the valve too long, then water will enter your wing. At the end of a dive, when you're breaking down your gear, how much water are you dumping out of your wing?

rx7diver

What does 1-2lbs of residual lift matter in the scheme of things? If it makes a difference to your buoyancy control I'd say you are 1-2lbs underweighted.

Gas sloshing? Sounds like there might be too much water in you wings. If you hold open the valve too long, then water will enter your wing. At the end of a dive, when you're breaking down your gear, how much water are you dumping out of your wing?

rx7diver
^^^ this.
The OP is so eager to dump that last 500ml of air that water is filling the wing. If it's truly just 500mL of air, you're underweighted.

An air bubble in a dry wing will be silent but an air bubble in a wing containing some water will make noise? I'm having trouble understanding why.

An air bubble in a dry wing will be silent but an air bubble in a wing containing some water will make noise? I'm having trouble understanding why.
Fill a ziplock half full with air and another with air and water and go swish them around a little in your kitchen sink and share your findings?

Go heads up, shimmy around and dump from the inflator.

You can get all of the air out.

Agree though with above commenters that getting “all” out it out means you’re too close with your weighting. A few lbs heavy is infinitely better than two lbs light.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom