How often do you talk about diving to non-divers? Forums excluded.

How often do you talk about diving to non-divers? Forums excluded.

• I talk about diving all day long.

Votes: 15 24.6%
  • I talk about diving once a day.

Votes: 13 21.3%
  • I talk about diving one to five times a week.

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • I talk about diving one to ten times a month.

Votes: 8 13.1%
  • I talk about diving ten to thirty times a year.

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • I never talk about diving with non-divers

Votes: 3 4.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well let's see. My Department Director is my main dive buddy. One of the engineers I work closely with is a Cave diver turned wws (I like to think I convinced him pretty fishes ain't bad). One of the planners I work with is a free diver anxious to get certified. My brother is certified. My daughter is certified. My wife was from Key West. My neighbor's kid is a dive guide. I'd say 25% of my FB contacts are divers.

I don't need to talk to non divers. :)

I don't talk to non-divers because they're aliens from another planet...This is my BLUE PLANET and they don't belong ;P !!!!!....And they're beneath me, but I think that has to do w/me being 6' 4" !!!!!.......

My colleagues are always eager to hear what I saw on my weekend dives. I have others from work that I don't even know approach me about learning how to dive. I love diving and it shows.

I manage to even find ways to bring diving into the conversation. Someone mentions food, I tell how I want to bring a marinated steak underwater to let the pressure tenderize it, lol. I'm trying to get better with not starting the conversation, but if a question comes up, I do no blame myself! They brought that mess onto themselves!!

I get to talk diving to most of the non-divers I know. All I need to do is mention that I dived this weekend and they look at me like I'm crazy and the questions start, the most common one is "what is there to see down there". Where I live if the water hits 70 degrees there's something wrong, most of the year it barely gets out of the 40s and no one believes there's anything more than rocks and sea weed around here.

Well, my first reaction was, "Other people still have non-diving friends?"

But actually, a lot of my non-diving friends are my Facebook friends, and they see the pictures that I put up, and read the posts I write about having gone diving. So they ask. A lot of people are really curious about diving, even if they don't think they would ever want to do it.

My only non diving friends are those I met through work.

Other than that diving is a key topic of conversation in our house. Daughter is as keen as mustard to learn to dive, and needs no encouragement to ask questions..... and off we go for another couple of hours father / daughter diving discussion. The non diving wife feels a bit left out, but accept that this is the way thing are.

Jon

I talk to non-divers about diving until they are out of earshot. Then I pull out my bullhorn and talk to them about it a bit more. If they get in their cars and drive off and I have their phone number then I'll text them.

I don't have many (any?) non-diving friends.

I'm a professional educator and I use diving CONSTANTLY to explain concepts (I teach physics, chemistry, environmental systems, etc...). Once in a while (but not too often) I worry about talking about diving too much and risk boring my students with it. Then it passes and I keep talking.

I love being about to apply what diving teaches and relating it to my non-diving students. They seem to enjoy it, and I've found it extremely effective. I've even presented workshops to other teacher groups in how to use diving to illustrate science concepts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom