How often does this happen at Ginnie?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You should be able to see daylight from Devil's Ear right where that sign is located. It's right at the end of the cavern zone.
They were well beyond the sign. Click over to 23:24 in the video
It's right after cave diver harry talks about the requirements for entry beyond the sign. In fairness, I guess he never says proper equipment is required - just that they be accompanied by an instructor as a guide. Which they do appear to be. I'm just surprised that proper gear isn't also a requirement.

If you're talking about that hole in the floor he swims through (right at 23:22), that's in the entrance to the Eye (not the Ear). There used to be a grim reaper sign next to it. You are 10' away from open water at that spot and very much in the cavern not the cave. The depth is 20', I have been known to do deco right on that spot many times.

Adding.. When you go through that hole in the floor you're going into the bigger cavern section of the Eye.

If you're talking about that hole in the floor he swims through (right at 23:22), that's in the entrance to the Eye (not the Ear). There used to be a grim reaper sign next to it. You are 10' away from open water at that spot and very much in the cavern not the cave. The depth is 20', I have been known to do deco right on that spot many times.
I see, I've never been into the eye and didn't recognize it.

No problem, and I understand why you'd be alarmed.

I wish I could say that stupid stuff never happens, but sadly it sometimes does. There recently was a situation where a cavern instructor took a cavern student well into the cave zone. The student was in cave gear, but the instructor was in openwater gear (down to split fins).

Caveat emptor when picking a cavern/cave instructor.

Does that instructor make a habit of taking divers into the cave with OW gear?
Why don't you ask him?

ps: single tanks are acceptable cavern gear regardless of my personal feelings on the subject. :)

I see, I've never been into the eye and didn't recognize it.
I wasn't part of their class or training, I just saw them there and spoke with mutual friends. We never saw them outside the cavern zone. Editing makes it seem they are further than they are, another point of contention for me as it can make it appear ok to OW divers. They seemed to spend most their time by Ginnie cavern.

Again, I saw them back again in May doing cave training in proper cave gear, Intro, IIRC. I was doing my cave DPV and really didn't pay much attention to them other than saying Hi at check in to mutual friends again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom