How practical is it to travel with a pony?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Depends on how many hands it is, the bigger it is the more pricey shipping will be. . .

I know, I can only imagine a pony getting air sick. . . or even sea sick. . .

I would think Shetland, They are more stout and better work ponies, the Arabian tends to just be another pretty face or so I have heard. . .

More of John's farm animals with pretty faces:shakehead

jhbryaniv:
I would think Shetland, They are more stout and better work ponies, the Arabian tends to just be another pretty face or so I have heard. . .

Well that, and if you ship the Arabian on a boat (which makes the most sense), you run the risk of the vessel sinking, the horse and some random boy getting stranded on a deserted island... said miscreant falling in love with your horse, only to eventually steal your property and turn it into a famous racehorse.

Not that this could happen, it just seems I heard a story about it somewhere.

If the Arabian is female and any color other than black, you're probably fine.

Risk is entirely eliminated by sticking to ponies. Shetlands are small enough you can almost cram them into an overhead compartment.

-Brandon.

Brandon:
Well that, and if you ship the Arabian on a boat (which makes the most sense), you run the risk of the vessel sinking, the horse and some random boy getting stranded on a deserted island... said miscreant falling in love with your horse, only to eventually steal your property and turn it into a famous racehorse.

Not that this could happen, it just seems I heard a story about it somewhere.

If the Arabian is female and any color other than black, you're probably fine.

Risk is entirely eliminated by sticking to ponies. Shetlands are small enough you can almost cram them into an overhead compartment.

-Brandon.

See even Brandon agrees Shetlands are the best way to go. . . they are the perfect height. . .

Traveling with a pony bottle is no big deal. I have done it off and on for over ten years. We have taken them all over the Caribbean, Central America and Pacific. I would not worry about getting them filled as most of the cylinders come from the US. The biggest hassle will be from TSA. Remove the valve and put a plastic cap on the cylinder. And carry a copy of their regulations for noobs inspecting the bags.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/compressed_gas.shtm

When putting a cylinder in my bags I always ask for the TSA to inspect the bags in my presence. I have yet to be denied.

As for the airlines. Just put it in your bag and do not worry about it. Don't ask, don't tell.

There are some dive ops that frown upon divers taking 2 AL 80's down under. Even if one is slung. They want you to do an easy "short" dive, not a long dive by sucking on both 80's.

Back
Top Bottom